Buffer Setup Ideas Wanted

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
jjpipes
Site Supporter

Re: Buffer Setup Ideas Wanted

Post by jjpipes »

Read post “viewtopic.php?f=43&t=5445” Kurt has some good advice and there is a chart and formula for determining what size pulleys you will need. See “http://mechanicalphilosopher.com/TaigJackshaft.html“ there is info about setting up a jackshaft you don’t need a jackshaft but the article and pictures will give you some idea of how to set your buffer up.
Artisans never finish their work – they merely abandon it.
Ideally, they abandon it at that point, where they are not sure if change, will improve or diminish it.
(Paraphrase from an unremembered source).

Steve / jjpipes
Wallbright

Post by Wallbright »

Would it be possible since the motor for the bench grinder is 1/3 hp to take it apart and just use that?
jjpipes
Site Supporter

Post by jjpipes »

The 1/3 hp has nothing to do with it (Except for torque). Speed is the issue, the grinder turns at 3500 rpm that is generally considered too fast for buffing. You can get away with it if you use a small buffing wheel like 4”, but it’s far from ideal, it’s very likely it will grab your pipe and send it to the floor or across the room. The pulley system reduces the speed for example, at 3500 rpm, with a 2” pulley on the motor and a 4” pulley on the working shaft, would give you a speed of about 1750 rpm (2/4*3500=1750) change the pulley on the working shaft to 5” you will have a working speed of about 1400 rpm (2/5*3500=1400) and so on and so on. You can try anything you want, but 1720 or slower seems to be the max, I personally like a buffer with a slower speed, my current buffer runs at about 860 rpm, 1290 rpm and1720 rpm using the same type of setup that has been suggested to you. The buffer I use was designed for jewelry, with a low 1/6 hp motor (not sufficient torque). So I will soon be doing what I am suggesting you do soon, but I’m going with a half hp or ¾ hp motor running at 1720 rpm (because I already have them). You already have the motor so the cost will be minimal some steel or some pipe and a few fittings, a couple of pillow blocks and a shaft plus a few other parts and your time. You will have a buffer that is as effective as a small high end commercial buffer, (At least in my opinion). Be sure to leave clearance for a good size buffing wheel on your new mandrel (shaft). You could also set up a BeAll type system on your new buffing mandrel see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6253&start=40 (Nate's) post, good luck. Note: you would be combining a beAll type mandrel, with a pulley system similar to the jack shaft, only with cross support.
Artisans never finish their work – they merely abandon it.
Ideally, they abandon it at that point, where they are not sure if change, will improve or diminish it.
(Paraphrase from an unremembered source).

Steve / jjpipes
Wallbright

Post by Wallbright »

I will talk it over with my house mate and see if we can't get that setup. I also brought back a corded drill from home that my father gave me. Its speed is 0-1250rpm so maybe it would be easier to just do a setup with it? Or would you suggest the bench grinder route?