Can you make pipe mud with cake?

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
Karns737

Can you make pipe mud with cake?

Post by Karns737 »

Just curious if I can make some pipe mud with reemed cake from another pipe? It seems logical that it would work best since it is exactly what I am trying to form again? And what about yogurt rather than water? I read somewhere that some pipe makers use carbon mixed with yogurt to line new pipe chambers. Anyone tried this? I'm just trying to see what would be best for some small burnouts in an old estate pipe I just purchased.
Last edited by Karns737 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billiard

Re: Pipe mud with cake?

Post by billiard »

My 2 cents: Google\Bing up Fred Hanna's Pipe Mud article. Cigar Ash and Water work great and the Cigar Ash will be a more even\finer consistency that will make better mud.
RobbieG

Re: Can you make pipe mud with cake?

Post by RobbieG »

pipedreamer

Re: Can you make pipe mud with cake?

Post by pipedreamer »

I get a lot of pipes with the draft hole too high and repairs where the owner gets into over reaming and basically ruins the pipe. I get sodium silicate (liquid glass) from a chemical co. and mix it with briar powder just so it will run. Then I add a touch of aquarium charcoal, run through a coffee grinder one time. Let it dry for two days and you have a hard surface that carbons up perfectly. It is much harder than regular pipe mud and does the trick. the liquid glass is hard on skin when wet,but when dry and with heat is harmless. No one has had problems, like it falling out etc. The first smokes are a little different, but not bad. Third smoke and you are good to go. If you have different results,I know naaaasing.