Moving stem logos...Ideas?

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
grainisgood

Moving stem logos...Ideas?

Post by grainisgood »

I repair pipes and it's always a drudge to move some logos from the old stem to the new one. I've got a Jobey logo waiting for me but GBD logos are similar. It's a very tiny piece of metal. The hard part is getting the logo to stay put while heating it with a soldering iron so it will melt into the stem. The logo invariably slips around, sometimes flies into a hard to reach, dark area of the shop...creates a great deal of swearing and/or yelling that nobody really likes to hear. Does anyone have a better way figured out? Would you please share that with me? Thanks a bunch.
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Re: Moving stem logos...Ideas?

Post by staffwalker »

Not something to which I have ever devoted much thinking time. To speak to the case of the GBD logo, I would mic the logo size in its three dimensions, pick a drill bit the same diameter as the latitudinal cross section, drill two overlapping holes as deep as the thickness of the logo, (1/16"?), the outside of the two holes would be the length of the longitudinal axis, clean the sides between the holes with a dremel or razor blade to make an oblong hole to fit the logo, put some epoxy in the hole, slap the logo in and call it done. bob gilbert
grainisgood

Re: Moving stem logos...Ideas?

Post by grainisgood »

Thanks Staffwalker. That's a good suggestion. I tried something tonight which seems to have worked and it's a combination of your idea and mine. It sounds weird but here's what I did. I put a thin film of Aunt Jemima's buttermilk syrup on the stem then positioned the logo. Then I dusted it with talcum powder and removed the logo. That left a clear shadow of where the oblong hole had to be. With a really tiny burr bit and my rotary tool I traced the shadow and just kept shaving it down and testing with the logo until it fit. Then glued it in. It took about an hour but next time it will take less time. Thanks! Your idea sparked another idea and it worked out!