Got A Little Buff Happy - Stem Question

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
Wallbright

Got A Little Buff Happy - Stem Question

Post by Wallbright »

I just recently bought some 4", 3", and 2 1/2" pads to try on my corded drill and bench grinder. I am still trying to figure out what works best as the drill is a tad too slow but the bench grinder is a tad fast. So far I have been experimenting with the grinder with light touches.

Well today I got a little curious when buffing one of my stems and decided to see what would happen if I gave it a little more pressure than normal. I was also experimenting with different buffing compounds so that could of been what did it. The stem looks great except using a flashlight, or other forms of bright light, on the stem reveals a greenish hue and lines from where it looks like the buffing wheel was hitting it.

I was wondering, is there a way to fix this? Should I soak it in bleach and then buff again carefully? This is a cheaper pipe so no real harm I suppose. However, I was hoping to get this pipe restored how I am going to do it with the new buffing setup and then bomb it away and see what the guy thinks of my restoration job.

As most of you will remember, I was asking about a good cheaper buffing setup a while back. Things didn't work out the way I had planned and I decided to buy some pads while I saved up money to have a real setup. All of that to say, this isn't my ideal buffing setup but any tips on buffing on a bench grinder or drill setup would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Ocelot55

Re: Got A Little Buff Happy - Stem Question

Post by Ocelot55 »

I do it by the book: tripoli, followed by white diamond, buff with a clean buff, then apply carnauba.

I don't have a grinder. I have always clamped my drill to the table. The pipes seem to turn out fine. I have discovered that the trick is making sure to sand very very thoroughly otherwise buffing doesn't take out all the scratches.
LexKY_Pipe

Re: Got A Little Buff Happy - Stem Question

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

You've got the best approach Ocelot55. Light touch is best. My buffer is a fixed 1750 rpm. Light touch following your progression works every time.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com