Busted Lucite tenon

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
Great Plains Piper

Re: Busted Lucite tenon

Post by Great Plains Piper »

just in case anyone is wondering: Superglue and a clamp overnight resulted in a surprisingly strong bond. Now the tenon is ever so slightly off 90deg from the stem though and so I'm not sure I'll be able to adjust to make it work or not, might not be worth it...

EDIT: broke it again last night, it was a surprisingly strong bond but I also decided that I wasn't going to baby it because if it can't handle the stress I'd rather know now. Now to get a new stem I guess...
Last edited by Great Plains Piper on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thus o’er my pipe, in contemplation
Of such things, I can constantly
Indulge in fruitful meditation
And so, puffing contentedly,
On land, on sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God.

-Johann Sebastian Bach
AldenW

Post by AldenW »

Sasquatch wrote:Okay you are right. So what?? :lol:
The reds are here! To educate you on adhesives! :mrgreen:
Thomas Tkach

Post by Thomas Tkach »

I have no idea if this is the right way to do this, but I've done this twice by gluing in an appropriately sized piece of one of those old telescoping antennas from a TV or boombox or whatever. Since they are slightly conical, you have to find just the right size for a tight fit, cut it to size, possibly enlarge the draft hole, hammer it together (really tight fit) until there is only a small crack, then throw in some super glue and hammer it in the rest of the way.

I just used a small screw to extract the tenon.

On land, at sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God.

http://tatmakesthings.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1?feature=mhee
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Ocelot55 wrote:You can extract that tenon with a wood screw extractor, but you have to be VERY careful. I find an extractor that is just a little larger then the draft hole. Then gently hand screw the extractor into the tenon. Not too far so you don't crack the shank. Once the extractor is in I like to put it in a vice and slowly pull and twist the stummel to get the tenon out.
Do you know I was doing that on a pipe and the damn EXTRACTOR broke! So, now I have an extractor stuck in a broken tenon in the mortise and I have no idea what to do now.