'Old Briar' - A Book About Refurbishing Pipes

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
WCannoy

'Old Briar' - A Book About Refurbishing Pipes

Post by WCannoy »

I sat down for coffee and a nice long chat this morning with Dave Whitney, author of "Old Briar" and got a copy of his book. I have not yet had nearly enough time to read all of this 118 page manifesto about finding and refurbishing old pipes, but flipping through it, looks like it's gonna be a great read!!! :thumbsup:

You can get the PDF version on ebay for $12
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-BRIAR-A-Boo ... 0541677542
pipeguy

Re: 'Old Briar' - A Book About Refurbishing Pipes

Post by pipeguy »

thanx Walt , it looked interesting and I 've spent $12 on alot worse things
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

I don't like criticizing enyone else's work and I do not know Dave Whitney, but imho you'd better spend the $12 on some pipecleaners. I purchased the book about 4 or 5 years ago when I was refurbishing a lot of pipes and I didn't really find it interesting. All the info in the book can be found on online forums, I can't recall really learning anything from it.
I can see this book being good for someone completely new to pipe restoration, but if you have any experience you will browse through it in 15 minutes and never reach for it again. Your mileage may vary, this is just my personal opinion :wink:
fastredx

Post by fastredx »

I wish I had had Dave's book back when I started doing refurbs. Would have saved many hours staring at this computer monitor and quite possibly a few old pipes that I screwed up along the way. If memory serves me,I believe Dave has made some revisions to the book in the last year or so.

At 77 Dave's gotta be about the oldest pipe restorer still at it just about everyday. Sells a bunch of pipes on Ebag. When he ain't working on pipes or selling pipes,he's fishing or cooking. He was recently featured on "My Mothers Ravioli" on the Cooking channel.