Peterson Re-engineering

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Peterson Re-engineering

Post by bikedoctor »

Hello gents,

Just got a 2013 Peterson Pipe as a gift from a dealer and although I'm happy with having a new pipe I'm running into some issues. I get a gurgle regardless of tobacco about mid bowl and I can't get a pipe cleaner to pass through to the bowl.

I'm thinking about lowering the briar "lip" as seen in "1" and I'm wondering if the 1/2 " of tenon that is lacking could be the culprit of the gurgle?

Comments or pitfalls to avoid??
Kevin
Gershom

Re: Peterson Re-engineering

Post by Gershom »

bikedoctor wrote:Hello gents,

Just got a 2013 Peterson Pipe as a gift from a dealer and although I'm happy with having a new pipe I'm running into some issues. I get a gurgle regardless of tobacco about mid bowl and I can't get a pipe cleaner to pass through to the bowl.

I'm thinking about lowering the briar "lip" as seen in "1" and I'm wondering if the 1/2 " of tenon that is lacking could be the culprit of the gurgle?

Comments or pitfalls to avoid??
Looks like you could open up the air hole between the mortise and the chamber, keeping the air hole's top line and just expanding down, and that would take the lip down quite a bit, and possibly fix the lower chamber not lining up with the bottom of the air hole. It would require taking a bit of material off the shank at its junction with the stem, but that would be covered up when the stem is on. Or you could put a recess so there would be no obvious drilling marks on the inside of the mortise.

Does the air hole really ride that high in the chamber? If so, what I said above would probably fix it completely, and be easy to do.

Jon
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Post by bikedoctor »

Hey Jon

The air hole really is that high and it has a silver colored ring around the shank which is why I thought about drilling out the tenon and extending it with some derlin rod.
Kevin
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Go for it. But also open up that air chamber, maybe starting at a downward angle in order to not follow the center of the existing air hole, then finishing by adjusting the angle of the drill bit to match the angle of the air hole so that it takes out the lip, eliminates the gurgle, and brings that air hole closer to the bottom of the bowl. I use at least 11/64ths for my air holes, if not more. It makes for a really easy draw.

Hope it turns out well for you!

Jon
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Just take a countersink and open up the end of the tenon with it first. I bet that takes care of most of your issues.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Traveling Wilbury

Post by Traveling Wilbury »

Cool use of ipad paper app?
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Post by bikedoctor »

Sorry for the delayed response. The gun and ammo business has been hell.

The app is paper 53.

I have to wear gloves as it doesn't recognize the hand as opposed to the stylus but that is my only complaint. I think it was worth the money.
Kevin
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

What sas said and open up draft to 11/64.
Just did a job on similar one, improved immediately. error, meant to say 11/64.Gershom is right, I open my own pipes to11/64 and I originally wrote 9/64.What a stupid?.'>';
Last edited by pipedreamer on Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

I'd open it to 11/64ths. In my experience that extra 1/32 makes a noticeable difference.

Jon
Briar Boy

Post by Briar Boy »

Gershom wrote:I'd open it to 11/64ths. In my experience that extra 1/32 makes a noticeable difference.

Jon
pipedreamer wrote:What sas said and open up draft to 9/64.
Just did a job on similar one, improved immediately.
I agree just try enlarging the airway first and see how it smokes before going to extreme mods, I have on all my Pete's to 5/32" and it stopped the gurgle completely.
Yak

Post by Yak »

Deleted as irrelevant.
Last edited by Yak on Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

This is why I got rid of most of my Pete's. Very poor engineering; especially on their bent pipes.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

wdteipen wrote:This is why I got rid of most of my Pete's. Very poor engineering; especially on their bent pipes.
Yup, same for me. That and the fact that I have never, ever been able to warm up to the p-lip. Just can't clench it, and if you can't clench it, even for a short period, it ain't for me.

I kept one just because it was so purty, but the damn thing is a pain to smoke.