Pipes Draft Hole Drilled High?

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
wmolaw

Re: Pipes Draft Hole Drilled High?

Post by wmolaw »

Sasquatch wrote:Yeah it really isn't "proof" of a good smoker. I actually have come to prefer it just for those time I get a chunk of tobacco lodged in the hole or the pack isn't just right - ram a cleaner through to the bowl and it's fixed.
Have to agree with Uber, you, LL. Hell, I ain't much of a pipe maker, a piddler more or less.

But I've been smoking/collecting pipes for about 40 years and I can tell you that though a pipe may smoke fine if it doesn't pass a cleaner, there will be MANY times when you wish the damn thing did either because, as you say, an errant piece of tobacco or a gurgle.
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Sasquatch wrote:Yeah it really isn't "proof" of a good smoker. I actually have come to prefer it just for those time I get a chunk of tobacco lodged in the hole or the pack isn't just right - ram a cleaner through to the bowl and it's fixed.
Yes, and I agree with you Sas. I'd rather have one that does and if I can make it so it does all the better.
rdpipes.briar.club
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

pipedreamer wrote:Uber if you were smoking a filter pipe you wouldn't have to worry that much about moisture.LoL
Lol! A filter? Eeeeeeew!!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

UberHuberMan wrote:
pipedreamer wrote:Uber if you were smoking a filter pipe you wouldn't have to worry that much about moisture.LoL
Now, That I can agree with you on.
Soggy nasty filters? Gees! even when I smoke cigarettes they weren't filtered.
rdpipes.briar.club
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

RDPowell wrote:
UberHuberMan wrote:
Now, That I can agree with you on.
Soggy nasty filters? Gees! even when I smoke cigarettes they weren't filtered.
Got that right.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Reminds me of when I was gunsmithing and we would test a gun. There were those that would'nt put on ear protectors. I'd say want to borrow some ear plugs, and they would say What? All the top line guys make filter pipes.I get asked to make 9mm often.Not so much the grabow 6mm. Some tobaccos IMHO taste better with a filter. Some are better without. I have to admit that all of my straight pipes are very high end. Yes!they will pass a cleaner,except for the Barbi which I noted. There is room for all in the magic of briar.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

pipedreamer wrote:All the top line guys make filter pipes.
That's a pretty generalized statement. Who do you consider to be top line guys who make filter pipes?

Have you seen many Eltangs, Tokutomis, Rasmussens, Knudsens, Ivarssons, Nordhs, Bangs, Formers, Chonowitschs, Johnsons, Grechukhins, Manzs, or Graciks that sported filters? I consider all of these guys to be "top line guys" and out of all of them I've only ever seen 1 Bang designed to take a filter.

In my understanding, there are some countries that require a pipe to have a filter if you want to sell there. Germany for example. Otherwise, most high end makers that I'm aware of aren't really into the whole filter thing.

-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

As an addendum, my above statement is not meant to indicate that filters are bad or wrong, just that it may not be accurate to say that "all the top line guys make filter pipes."

-Tyler Beard
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

OK, Nordh, Viggo nielson, Rainer Barbi,Poul Winslow, Georg Jenson Dunhill, Luigi Viprati, Nording, Axmacher, Mastro DePaha The list goes on and on most of Europe smokes 9mm filters as I said Most top pipe makers make 9mm pipes Too!
My statement is correct! The list is so big it would be a job listing all of them. and countries. Usa.,China Denmark, Germany Austria , Canada, Ireland, England, Same as with the over list. 9mmPipes are here to stay. I am well aware of the american prejudice towards filters. Doesn't exist elsewhere. P.S. I have a Former 9mm Prince. If a client wants a 9mm, are you going to tell him you can't or won't make one?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

pipedreamer wrote: If a client wants a 9mm, are you going to tell him you can't or won't make one?
That's what I did. I have had only one request for a pipe with a 9mm filter. I told the customer I didn't know how to do that. :twisted:

You can't be all things to all people.

Rad
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

RadDavis wrote:
pipedreamer wrote: If a client wants a 9mm, are you going to tell him you can't or won't make one?
That's what I did. I have had only one request for a pipe with a 9mm filter. I told the customer I didn't know how to do that. :twisted:

You can't be all things to all people.

Rad
What he said. That's what I'd do.

-Tyler Beard
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Rad you are established.Your pipes are superb with nothing left to chance.When I buy a straight pipe at this point in my life it has to be made by someone like you where the only surprises are good ones.There is a demand for quality 9mm pipes. I don't care to repair pipes, but have to occasionally.I'm not at that point where I can say!!
I don't do repairs!!. I have to do them or I lose business.Your demand is so high, You probably don't have time to make other than the demands placed on you. It just comes down to choice. 52 years ago I thought that a nice looking pipe should be sufficient. Then someone changed my world by buying me a high end pipe. Wasn't the same game anymore. I feel young pipe makers should pick up as many skills as possible. It can't hurt them. At 66 I'm still learning and hungry to make great pipes. I, too was somewhat biased for non filtered pipes back then, most were crap and 6mm. Then a gift of a 9mm, a high end Nording gave me a wider view point. Not better, just different. I still have it and it smokes superbly.not better than my Viggo neilson or Barbi ring grain, just different. John
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

pipedreamer wrote:OK, Nordh, Viggo nielson, Rainer Barbi,Poul Winslow, Georg Jenson Dunhill, Luigi Viprati, Nording, Axmacher, Mastro DePaha The list goes on and on most of Europe smokes 9mm filters as I said Most top pipe makers make 9mm pipes Too!
My statement is correct! The list is so big it would be a job listing all of them. and countries. Usa.,China Denmark, Germany Austria , Canada, Ireland, England, Same as with the over list. 9mmPipes are here to stay. I am well aware of the american prejudice towards filters. Doesn't exist elsewhere. P.S. I have a Former 9mm Prince. If a client wants a 9mm, are you going to tell him you can't or won't make one?
I think that you are absolutely correct that filters play a huge roll in the pipe making world. There are many factories, workshops, and individual artisans that use filters in their pipemaking. However, individual artisans use filters much less frequently, and finding a filtered pipe made by some of the best makers in the world would be difficult.

In your list you have named a few makers who I would agree operate at the highest levels of pipemaking. You've also listed several good makers who do not abide by that standard nor do they seek a designation like that.

Frank Axmacher, IMO, is a high level pipe maker. While he may produce pipes for the German market with filters, I have never seen a filtered Axmacher pipe available in the US. To me, this says he is catering to the laws of Germany in order to sell his work there. However, when making pipes for a less restrictive market, he opts to leave the filter out.

Bo Nordh was a pipe maker who I've never seen a filtered pipe from.

Rainer Barbi was a pipe maker who I've seen a handful of filtered pipes from on the estate market, but they've been few and far between.

I don't deny that filter pipes are all over the place. However, I do think that your statement that "all top line guys maker filter pipes" is false if you're indicating that filter pipes are a standard for the best pipemakers in the world. If your position is that filtered pipes are all over the pipe world and some of the best pipe makers in the world have made pipes with filters, then I'd agree with you without hesitation.
Last edited by d.huber on Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

pipedreamer wrote:Then someone changed my world by buying me a high end pipe. Wasn't the same game anymore. I feel young pipe makers should pick up as many skills as possible. It can't hurt them. At 66 I'm still learning and hungry to make great pipes. I, too was somewhat biased for non filtered pipes back then, most were crap and 6mm. Then a gift of a 9mm, a high end Nording gave me a wider view point. Not better, just different. I still have it and it smokes superbly.not better than my Viggo neilson or Barbi ring grain, just different. John
You're absolutely right that us new guys should be learning as many skills as we can pick up. The nice thing is, I don't believe the learning ever stops, the leaps just get smaller and smaller as things get better and better and a pipe maker refines their skills more and more. I want you to know that I respect your opinion. The only thing I take issue with is the general statement indicating that anyone who's among the best makes filter pipes on a regular basis, which I have found to be untrue. At least for the US market.

I've been collecting for just under 7 years now and have owned a wide array of pipes, many with filters, many without. In my experience, filters don't smoke well at all. But that's just my experience. As a result, though, I have zero interest in putting a filter into any pipe I make.

-Tyler Beard
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

The pipe makers that wanted to eat. I tend to agree that in the us filters don't play a significant roll. Shame, someone thinking they were doing me a favor gave me some awful and harsh tobacco.After two tries I was going to give up. Put it in a filter pipe and bingo, tamed that one.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

You don't have to filter your pipes. I see that the latter of your statement we agree on. After WW2 all kinds of stuff was out there and the guys that wanted to succeed followed a looser code.You have to have a dream to make a dream come true. I respect your inquiring mind.Great pipes and good smoking my friend. John
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

And all this because I asked if I should tamper with the draft hole. :D
Good discussion never the less.
rdpipes.briar.club
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

pipedreamer wrote:The pipe makers that wanted to eat.
I'm surprised by that comment. Most of the high end makers that I'm aware of are full time and feed families with multiple children, but don't make filter pipes.

Rad Davis, Jeff Gracik, Todd Johnson, Grant Batson, Tom Eltang, Toku, the list goes on.

I am curious: why do you believe that it's crucial to make pipes with filters in order to make a living or a reputation?

-Tyler Beard
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

Filters are lame. :wink:
As a smoker I have several filter pipes, but that's just because they were good bargains or estate finds. In 10 years of pipesmoking I've used maybe one pack of filters just to try them, never thought about buying them again.
I refuse to make 9mm filter pipes, even when the customer asks for it. Sorry, but what's the point of creating a perfectly engineered pipe, filing the best possible slot, making the transition from draft hole to end of the funnel as smooth as possible etc., and then sticking a piece of paper/balsa/meerschaum crumbs to mess up all that good work?
Of course if you like 9mm filter pipes and you choose to make/smoke/buy such pipes that's great, smoke what you like and like what you smoke.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

UberHuberMan wrote:
I am curious: why do you believe that it's crucial to make pipes with filters in order to make a living or a reputation?
Good arguments..BUT. I know a few guys that make filters for customers..because the customer asked... The original question was what to do with the draft hole... I'd drill it and make a reservoir for catching the moisture. But that's me... There is an argument going on that has absolutely no point...

I don't normally make filter pipes, but I've made them... You don't want to make them.. Then don't

James