Pipes Draft Hole Drilled High?

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
pipedreamer

Re: Pipes Draft Hole Drilled High?

Post by pipedreamer »

Thank You, The same here, I was asked. Thought It a skill one would like to know. THE End.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

pipedreamer wrote:Rad you are established.Your pipes are superb with nothing left to chance.When I buy a straight pipe at this point in my life it has to be made by someone like you where the only surprises are good ones.There is a demand for quality 9mm pipes. I don't care to repair pipes, but have to occasionally.I'm not at that point where I can say!!
I don't do repairs!!. I have to do them or I lose business.Your demand is so high, You probably don't have time to make other than the demands placed on you. It just comes down to choice. 52 years ago I thought that a nice looking pipe should be sufficient. Then someone changed my world by buying me a high end pipe. Wasn't the same game anymore. I feel young pipe makers should pick up as many skills as possible. It can't hurt them. At 66 I'm still learning and hungry to make great pipes. I, too was somewhat biased for non filtered pipes back then, most were crap and 6mm. Then a gift of a 9mm, a high end Nording gave me a wider view point. Not better, just different. I still have it and it smokes superbly.not better than my Viggo neilson or Barbi ring grain, just different. John
I'm not saying there's anything at all wrong with pipes that have 9mm filter. I just don't know how to make them.

As for repairs, I'm not set up for them. It takes a whole 'nother set of tooling for that, and I ain't got it, so I don't do it. I refer them to George.

To each his own.

Rad
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

This thread is all kinds of confusing.

Filter pipes are an ingenious solution to a non-existant problem, true, but are completely benign design-wise... and if they provide some sort of psychological / placebo effect for fastidious owners, so what? It's their money. Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke.

I've added filter chambers to many pipes, and permanently filled & sealed existing ones that were unwanted. It's not difficult either way (if properly equipped).
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Hey guys,

Tension seems to have made its way into the thread and I honestly didn't intend that. Different viewpoints are valuable and I like to understand where other people are coming from.

End of the day, it's up to each individual what they'll smoke and what they'll make.

Puff in peace.

-David
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

To anyone whom remembers how this thread got started; I gouged out a little valley where the draft hole and mortise meet and she takes a cleaner pretty easy now and it seems that the draw wasn't affected by it. Now, I can concentrate on the more important things in life, like whens that new pipe of mine showing up?

Again, Thank you all for your help and suggestions.
rdpipes.briar.club
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

RDPowell wrote:To anyone whom remembers
It's "To anyone WHO remembers", for fuck's sake. :P

Rad
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

RadDavis wrote:
RDPowell wrote:To anyone whom remembers
It's "To anyone WHO remembers", for fuck's sake. :P

Rad
Who, Whom, Them, Those, You knew what I meant. The finer parts of grammar is not one of my strong points nor does it matter much to me.
As long as the other party understands what I'm saying, that's all that matters. With a 8th grade education this is all you get sir. :lol:
rdpipes.briar.club
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

RDPowell wrote:
The finer parts of grammar is not one of my strong points nor does it matter much to me.
Well, now that we've gotten your pipe fixed, it's time to work on your grammar. It should have read, " The finer parts of grammar ARE not one of my strong points". Plural subject = plural verb. That's all for today. Don't forget your homework for tomorrow. :lol:

Rad
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

RadDavis wrote:
RDPowell wrote:
The finer parts of grammar is not one of my strong points nor does it matter much to me.
Well, now that we've gotten your pipe fixed, it's time to work on your grammar. It should have read, " The finer parts of grammar ARE not one of my strong points". Plural subject = plural verb. That's all for today. Don't forget your homework for tomorrow. :lol:

Rad
I know your not old enough to be one of my teachers but, your starting to act like one so...........
No more pencils, No more books, No more teacher's dirty looks :lol:
rdpipes.briar.club
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

RDPowell wrote:
I know your not old enough to be one of my teachers but, your starting to act like one so...........
I know YOU'RE not old enough to be one of my teachers, but YOU'RE starting to act like one. So:

(etc)
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

LatakiaLover wrote:
RDPowell wrote:
I know YOU'RE not old enough to be one of my teachers, but YOU'RE starting to act like one. So:

(etc)

One (of many) my pet peeves, inability to properly utilize the possessive and contractions. Drives me up a wall, but that's just my Monk coming to the fore.
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

You fellas like correcting my grammar, I can keep ya busy for a long time. :lol:
rdpipes.briar.club
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Rad keeps a red pen and marker with him at all times. Never know when you are going to have to fix something on a coffee shop sign...... :lol:

Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Thomas Tkach

Post by Thomas Tkach »

I now want to buy a RAD pipe more than ever. Thanks for making those grammatical points, gentlemen.
On land, at sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God.

http://tatmakesthings.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1?feature=mhee