Gourd calabash restoration

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
mightysmurf8201

Gourd calabash restoration

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

Since this is a restoration project, I figured I'd post it here. So last fall at Richmond, I picked up a gourd calabash for $15. It needed a little TLC, but for the price, I couldn't pass it up. I FINALLY got around to cleaning it up yesterday, and as I was very gently removing the cake from the very uncared for meerschaum bowl, it crumbled in my hands. :( A replacement meerschaum bowl for the size I need would run me around $50, so I decided I'm just going to turn my own from briar I already have, and I have the perfect block set aside. My question is this. How do I go about turning such a bowl? Do I turn the part that fits inside the gourd first, then turn it around and drill/shape the bowl and sand off the jaw marks from the part that was chucked? This is the only way I can think of doing this, unless I just chuck up the briar block, gripping it very low and turn the whole thing in one fell swoop. The block is big enough that this just might work. I know a few of the more experienced guys have made briar calabash's. Any suggestions from you guys or other experienced turners? :help:
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
pipedreamer

Re: Gourd calabash restoration

Post by pipedreamer »

Do as much as you can on the lathe, then get ready for lots of hand work. I just finished one and then days later (today) I saw where one of my lines was a little off, so back to it. I used a dremmel for a lot of the rough work, a magi cut nicholson file as suggested by Chris, saved me a lot of time. I mimicked a meerschaum cap to look like a canted mushroom integral to the pipe.I have seen one carver actually hollow out the stubble and make the cap out of briar to sit in it. He lightly glued the cap to the stubble. I got to smoke it and it was great, but did produce some moisture that didn't affect smoking. I prefer one solid piece. Took me 3 days. I loaf a lot.Good luck. :thumbsup:
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Drill your bowl and turn the top part, drill a hole through the bottom of the bowl for the airway. Remove from lathe. Chuck up a piece of scrap rod/tough wood and turn a spigot that will fit snugly inside your bowl, slide the bowl over this using the tailstock to support the other end (the airway hole will be your guide to line it up straight) and then turn the outside of the bowl to fit in your gourd.

No chuck marks and a perfect fit.

EDIT: Regarding the above comment, if you do it the way I suggest and sand it on the lathe then all you need do when you remove it from the lathe is buff and wax, no hand work needed.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Sorry, I thought he was going to make it totally out of briar, not just make a bowl , Thanks Chris for catching that :noteworthy: Sorry to you also mightysmurf. Next time I'll RTFQ.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I have done this a few times now. I drill my airway all the way through the block first. Then I drill the chamber to debth. Turn your top round. Then turn just under the top to the diameter of the inside of the gourd. I have made that spot flat and about 3/8" wide. From there I used the Meer cup I had on hand to set the shape of the bottom of the cup (outside). I got that started on the lathe and then did the rest of the shaping wheel.

I cut the diameter of the cup a bit oversized for the gourd...we're talking a thousandth of an inch. After shaping and sanding (do not touch the briar at the contact point while sanding) I put it in the oven at 170 degrees for a few hours to equalize the briar. If done correctly it will shrink to a perfectly snug fit. (I spoke with Anthony Harris at length about this. He is Mr. Woodcarver and has turned quite a few briar bowls for Goud Calabash....I believe George has one that he smokes the shit out of)

Results:

I turned this bowl over 6 months ago and it still fits perfectly. Grant it I haven't smoked it yet, because I haven't finished the stem on the Calabash I am making. I hope you enjoy the leg shot :lol: ....and no, I NEVER wear shoes ;)
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I can't show a picture of my most recent briar calabash bowl because I have not listed the pipe for sale yet.

Hope that help.s
mightysmurf8201

Thanks for all the guidance everyone. I think I'm ready to give this a try. I'll post pics once it's all done.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
mightysmurf8201

Here is the final result. There's a few pits that I didn't feel like chasing for fear of making it worse, but since it's for me, it's no big deal. When I find the time, I'm also going to make a new stem. I don't really like the look of the one that's on there. Also, I was able to get ahold of some calabash gourd seeds of the proper variety used for pipes. Since I'm moving soon, I'm having my sister up in MN grow them for me this summer. Hopefully I can get at least a few useable gourds out of it to make some nice pipes. :D

#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Where do you get the gourd seeds? I should grow some since I already live in Minnesota.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Just Google calabash gourd seeds. I think Victory seed sells them. I have 3 plants at my sisters and one here in my yard. They are not easy to grow. It needs to be hot and dry for the gourds to be thick enough for pipes. Cool temps and lots of rain will produce thin gourds that crack easily. I have been planning my gourd crop for almost a year now. Hoping to get a few....we'll see.
www.ladybriar.com
mightysmurf8201

Victory seeds is actually where I found mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
socrates

Post by socrates »

I live in the driest side of the island and it happens to be fairly hot as well so maybe I will try it out.

Ordering was easy now I'll see how they grow in sunny Hawaii. Tips for training them as they grow?

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

You need to have space to let the vines run. As the gourds develop you shape then by bending them carefully every day.
www.ladybriar.com
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

there is a wooden jig you can make to hold the gourd at the right curve. There is also a good book about the history of calabash pipes, lots of great history and stories.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

The jig is actually an urban legend. The growers in South Africa have always used clods of dirt and rocks in the field to hold the gourds in place. I do recommend getting a copy of The History of the Calabash Pipe by Gary B Schrier. There is a lot of great info about growing gourds for pipes. And ton of great pictures of collections too. You can get a copy (and other pipe books too) at http://briarbooks.com
www.ladybriar.com
mightysmurf8201

Ordering my copy now!

#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
socrates

Post by socrates »

Great all. I have over 14,000 square feet of land with a small house, shop and cottage. The rest is for gardens and soon gourd cultivation. Plenty of room! Will definitely get and read the book.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

mightysmurf8201 wrote:Ordering my copy now!

If you want a copy with free shipping, let me know, I have them in stock :)

edit - free USA shipping
mightysmurf8201

Vermont Freehand wrote:
If you want a copy with free shipping, let me know, I have them in stock :)

edit - free USA shipping
Crap! I wish I'd have known this sooner! I already ordered it!
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
Charl

Post by Charl »

All the best of luck with the growing (and the drying!).
Will be interesting to see if any of you get something useful out of it.
Keep me posted!