Repair

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
jmoss

Repair

Post by jmoss »

Hello everyone here,

I need some help here with 2 pipes of a friend that need repair and maintenance without restoration. It s a great opurtunity for me to begin a project like this with your help as a new pipemaker. I won t be paid for this because he is a friend.

First of all i am curius what are the shapes (bent billiard and something some apple?)

Second who are the artists and the history of the pipes if anyone knows.

3rd i need ideas for where to begin with and what would you do for repairing without restoring anything.

Thank you very much
Attachments
Why are this holes in the champer?
Why are this holes in the champer?
DSC04121.png (234.36 KiB) Viewed 2590 times
DSC04115.png
DSC04115.png (194.61 KiB) Viewed 2590 times
DSC04114.png
DSC04114.png (254.24 KiB) Viewed 2590 times
jmoss

Re: Repair

Post by jmoss »

Some pictures more :)

Thank you for your patience :)
Attachments
DSC04132.png
DSC04132.png (75.17 KiB) Viewed 2589 times
DSC04128.png
DSC04128.png (214.19 KiB) Viewed 2589 times
DSC04125.png
DSC04125.png (182.63 KiB) Viewed 2589 times
Oakbear

Post by Oakbear »

Looks like that's just one pipe? What exactly is broken?

Either the cake needs reaming or there are some gouges in the bowl which need sorting.
Also the crack or scratch on the bowl. Can't really say how to approach that without knowing exactly what it is.

A quick Google found this http://www.pipedia.org/wiki/Ratos , which looks like it was copied and pasted from some advertising, and a general sense that these were cheap factory pipes, which seems to match those pictures.
It would only be worth restoring for sentimental reaons or for practice imho. If it is practice, the question is what do you want to practice?
jmoss

Post by jmoss »

Thank you Oakbear for your interest.

The crack is nt very deep so i will try to puttied and use dark colour for the finishing.
The gouges in the bowl are very strange because are all around inside the bowl and for sure it is nt from the cake. Maybe a cake paste to fill the gouges but i don t know for sure :?: .
The problem is that it does nt smokes well because of the mechanics of the stem. It has something like adaptor in the stem, you can look in the photos, so if i take the adaptor off the stem will it be ok or it is better to drill a 1mm biger hole to the adaptor? Furthermore the mouthpiece bite hole has nt a V shape, it is round, what do you suggest?

Thank you very much in advance! :)
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

jmoss wrote:Thank you Oakbear for your interest.

The crack is nt very deep so i will try to puttied and use dark colour for the finishing.
The gouges in the bowl are very strange because are all around inside the bowl and for sure it is nt from the cake. Maybe a cake paste to fill the gouges but i don t know for sure :?: .
The problem is that it does nt smokes well because of the mechanics of the stem. It has something like adaptor in the stem, you can look in the photos, so if i take the adaptor off the stem will it be ok or it is better to drill a 1mm biger hole to the adaptor? Furthermore the mouthpiece bite hole has nt a V shape, it is round, what do you suggest?
The weird bowl interior scalloping is from someone trying to remove excess cake with a ball-shaped rotary cutter on a Dremel. (Cake can be extremely hard and refuse to be scraped out, so people get frustrated and turn to power tools sometimes.) Categorically a bad idea, though. Such rotary tools are virtually impossible to control well enough to get a good result, and permanent damage to the chamber is likely, as looks to be the case here. :( Much better is several turns of 80 grit paper wrapped around an appropriately sized length of dowel.

Ditch the plumbing. None of that sort of thing is necessary for a good smoke, and often prevents it.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Looks to me, sorry George, that it's not from a power tool. It appears to have been due to a torch lighter, as evidenced by the half moon burn marks. I've seen this numerous times and it's due to improper lighting or the guy is smoking in a convertible!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

baweaverpipes wrote:Looks to me, sorry George, that it's not from a power tool. It appears to have been due to a torch lighter, as evidenced by the half moon burn marks. I've seen this numerous times and it's due to improper lighting or the guy is smoking in a convertible!
I considered that, but went with my guess based on the regularity and depth of the divots. The torch burns I've seen were larger and more smeared. Not so pin-point. Also, burns are more often on the front wall, not the back, because tilting the lighter nozzle slightly toward you makes the lighting process easier to see & control (depth perception, alignment, etc.) Finally, torch burns usually stack in a single vertical line because people hold their lighter with a consistent wrist angle.

Not that it matters much, of course. Zer vood, she is gone either way. :(

EDIT: Actually, it does matter somewhat, because if they are chars, the wood is gone for some distance underneath (scrape at them with a dental-type tool and they'll get bigger until sound wood is reached); while if mechanically-cut divots they will have a solid wood "bottom".
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.