Prince

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
RiverWader

Prince

Post by RiverWader »

Never owned this style much less tried to make one. It's #8 for me and am trying to target areas that get mentioned from previous feedback. Stem length is one of the the things I keep looking at on this one - don't know if it works on this or not. Your critique is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat

sandahlpipe

Re: Prince

Post by sandahlpipe »

The stem length is fine.

Some things to work on:

Make the profile of the bowl more rounded. Make sure the shank and bowl have a continuous curve no pinch in the shank. Don't let the bowl go beneath the shank line. Clean up the slot with some sandpaper. The smoke will condense at the slot if it's not smooth and it will taste bitter quicker. Finally, work on making straight, smooth lines. I find flat files are helpful in getting the wobble out of lines.

I think if you work on these things for your next one, the proportions might not look as bad as you think.

Keep up the good work. It's much better than my 8th pipe for sure.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

sandahlpipe wrote:Don't let the bowl go beneath the shank line.
EXCEPT for when you make a prince! With a prince you want that little dip below the shank on the bottom of the bowl. It's actually one of the things that makes a prince so hard to cut. I can't find a picture that shows it really well. But, pick up an old Dunhill or Comoy Prince and the bump on the bottom of the bowl is subtle....but there.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
RiverWader

Post by RiverWader »

Thanks Jeremiah. Regardless of whether a prince bowl does slip below the shank or not, my intent was not to have that happen. In fact, previous pipe critiques have mentioned the 'chin' but in looking at the pics, there is a definite kink and dip. Must be some mental block or something. Thanks for your comments.

Pat
socrates

Post by socrates »

Very clean! I certainly like it.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk