First attempt at carving a pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Rbraniganpipes

First attempt at carving a pipe

Post by Rbraniganpipes »

Hello Everyone,

As I am new to both pipe making and the forum, I thought I would post some photos of my first pipe for you guys to take a look at and offer any advice or comments. I look forward to gaining lots of knowledge about the art and craftsmanship that is pipe making, and appreciate any and all advice and criticism. This forum has and will continue to be an invaluable tool for me when it comes to learning both the basics of how to begin to carve, as well as how to perfect the craft!

The only tools I had at my disposal to use on this pipe were a scroll saw, Dremel tool with a sanding bit, and a 1'' belt sander.
Attachments
RBpipeside2.jpg
RBpipeside2.jpg (51.93 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
RBpipe1.jpg
RBpipe1.jpg (50.52 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
RBpipestem.jpg
(44.1 KiB) Downloaded 539 times
RBpipetop.jpg
RBpipetop.jpg (31.9 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
RBpipefront.jpg
(44.94 KiB) Downloaded 539 times
R.Branigan Pipes
sandahlpipe

Re: First attempt at carving a pipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Welcome to the forum. Your pipe reminds me a lot of my first pipe. The shape and design are pretty much the same idea.

The finish and stain look nice and even, and at least from what I can see, there aren't any sanding scratches or anything. So good work on that.

It's difficult to give much advice on a freehand pipe, because they don't really have very specific rules to follow. If you want more critique, try making a classic shape or a copy of someone else's pipe. I recommend making a billiard, because it has the most specific rules for shaping.

Looking forward to seeing you progress.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
andrew

Post by andrew »

Welcome. You've done a lot of things right on your first pipe. Grab yourself a pipe kit and have at it!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

That's a pretty good first pipe.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Rbraniganpipes

Post by Rbraniganpipes »

Thank you Jeremiah, Andrew, and Wayne for your encouragement, as it is greatly appreciated. As I read further on this forum, I am continuing to learn new techniques and skills needed to make a quality pipe, and appreciate any and all help. Even though I am just beginning, I want to do things the right way by making pipes that are both appealing and fully functional. I consider myself to be a perfectionist, but I can only perfect what I know.
I look forward to learning more from you guys an others on the forum as I progress.
R.Branigan Pipes
socrates

Post by socrates »

Very nice and welcome! Wouldn't mind it in my meager collection. Keep showing us what you do.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk
ronps

Post by ronps »

Nice job. Same tools many of us started with.

Keep going.