First Briar Kit

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
sig

First Briar Kit

Post by sig »

Hi all. I just completed my first briar pipe - a kit bought from Vermont Freehand :-D I used only files, rasps, and sandpaper for shaping. I was going for a billiard shape but wanted to keep the base because it sat so well. Now the outside of the bowl is not tapered enough to look like a proper billard. My final thoughts on the shape are that I should have committed to a shape.

What are your thoughts and opinions? I plan to make another soon and would apreciate any advice given!

sandahlpipe

Re: First Briar Kit

Post by sandahlpipe »

Not a bad first pipe. Next time, try to make the rim the same thickness all the way around. Then try to make the shank less tapered. The bottom part of the bowl should be up against the shank unless you're going for a poker, in which case, you won't want to round the edges on the bottom.

Keep on working on it and you'll get there. I'm sure if Steve made the kit, it will smoke well for you. Let us know how she smokes.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
sig

Post by sig »

Thanks for the advice, I didn't think about the taper on the stem. Maybe I'll do the next one on my lathe.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Amazingly similar to the 1st pipe I ever made, back in 2007.
sig

Post by sig »

Wow, you're not kidding! Your pipes came out very smooth. What all tools did you use back then? They look really nice for a first and second.
sandahlpipe wrote:
07014.jpg
(51.81 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
Charl

Post by Charl »

:oops: Ouch! That hurts! :lol: