Attempt at a nice(r) finish

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
kamkiel

Attempt at a nice(r) finish

Post by kamkiel »

I made this pipe last month and have used it quite a bit since. I was going for a lasting finish. I originally was going to post this in the finishing techniques section, but I figured this would be more of a critique and not so helpful to other makers who would be searching the "finish techniques" area of the forum. Oh, and mind the stem. It is a little awkward.

The pictures are set up in a before/after or new/used to compare the finish.

Thanks for looking! I appreciate your time.

Kiel
RDPowell

Re: Attempt at a nice(r) finish

Post by RDPowell »

From my experience and that's from smoking pipes with just a waxed finish is the heat from the bowl and your hands tends to wear the wax finish or dulls it with two to three smokes. If ya have a high acid content like me even faster. I wipe mine done after each smoke and try not to handle them in a way that would cause this to happen quicker. In other words this is perfectly normal. If you want a shine to last maybe a shellac finsih and then wax would be my guess.
rdpipes.briar.club
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

RDPowell wrote:From my experience and that's from smoking pipes with just a waxed finish is the heat from the bowl and your hands tends to wear the wax finish or dulls it with two to three smokes. If ya have a high acid content like me even faster. I wipe mine done after each smoke and try not to handle them in a way that would cause this to happen quicker. In other words this is perfectly normal. If you want a shine to last maybe a shellac finsih and then wax would be my guess.
Thanks for the reply! I did do around four coats of thinly cut shellac and would let it sit for a day after each coat. I also didn't do anything like wiping the pipe down after usage and it was handled quite a bit. I guess I wanted to see how it would hold up in a rougher, more neglectful sort of environment.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Finishes will eat your soul!

If you want to try some durable finish techniques, experiment with various hardening oils. They take quite a while to dry, and you need several coats, but they can be far more durable than even shellac.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:Finishes will eat your soul!

If you want to try some durable finish techniques, experiment with various hardening oils. They take quite a while to dry, and you need several coats, but they can be far more durable than even shellac.
Are we talking about Linseed oil and such?
rdpipes.briar.club
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:Finishes will eat your soul!

Playing with finishes is kind of fun (at the beginning). I am hoping to find something that works for me with materials that are easily available for me here. On this pipe I did do some frenchy polishy kind of variation over the course of 5 days to a week.

I see how the pursuit of a nice finish could eventually lead to the eating of ones soul, and I hope it doesn't come to that, unless of course I can get hooked up with the Robert Leroy Johnson package deal. :)