First Diplomat. Please critique

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Blakens

First Diplomat. Please critique

Post by Blakens »

My fifth pipe, I was aiming for a diplomat (maybe a prince), but I'm not sure if I got it quite right. Please let me know where I can improve and don't hold back.
I think I left some meat on the chin and I know I need to work on the stem-shank junction too. I used a piece of whitetail antler to accent. That was a lot more work than I realized.
I think I got a better idea on the engineering of the internals on this one though, it smokes really nice. Of course, it could have just as easily been luck.
Also, I made this pipe a while ago, so these pictures are after about 2 years of light use. Let me know what you think.
Last edited by Blakens on Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ocelot55

Re: First Diplomat. Please critique

Post by Ocelot55 »

Pretty good job, actually.

I was under the impression that a traditional diplomat had an oval shank and a prince/apple like bowl. You could definitely take more off the chin and work on the flow of the bottom line. Additionally your rim needs some sort of bevel to prevent charring.

This pipe shows you've got a basic grasp of shape. A little more practice and I bet you'll be turning out some really nice pieces. :thumbsup:
Blakens

Post by Blakens »

You're right about the oval shank. Still learning shapes. Maybe I should just say I was inspired by the diplomat. ;)
Thanks for the feedback and the encouragement! When you're talking about the bevel on the rim, are you talking about a bevel sloping into or away from the chamber? I could see sloping away helping to prevent charring, but I feel like I've seen them sloping inward before too.
Again, thanks.
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."

"I've cut this board three times and it's still too short!"
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

I knida like the shape of the bowl, reminds me of a Castello 55 and for your first I'd say it's dang good. :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
Blakens

Post by Blakens »

This one was my 5th, but thanks!
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."

"I've cut this board three times and it's still too short!"
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Blakens wrote:This one was my 5th, but thanks!
Well, I knew it started with an "F". :lol:
rdpipes.briar.club
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

Yep, it's a diplomat. The bowl looks a little big for the size of the shank, or maybe the shank looks a little slim for the size of the bowl. It's a proportion thing.

Execution-wise, the stem really needed to have the tool marks sanded out completely, especially one the sides.
- Steve S.