Bulldog no. 1

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
N.Burnsworth

Bulldog no. 1

Post by N.Burnsworth »

Please critique the crap out of it! I will say this, it is my third attempt in two years and I know there should probably be a very subtle bend in the stem, but the person that bought it chose straight. Also I think I should have softened the bottom line that runs up the chin a little sooner.

Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
wdteipen

Re: Bulldog no. 1

Post by wdteipen »

Execution and fit and finish are pretty nice on this one. Design-wise it's a bit odd but not entirely unpleasing. You've made a straight bulldog that gives the illusion that it's bent. The reason is because your shank exits the bowl so low. I agree that a slight bent in the stem would have better completed the illusion. Without the bend it leaves me feeling uneasy like it doesn't know if it wants to be a straight pipe or a bent pipe. I'm guessing the airway drilling is greater than 90 degrees from the tobacco chamber.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
N.Burnsworth

Post by N.Burnsworth »

wdteipen wrote:Execution and fit and finish are pretty nice on this one. Design-wise it's a bit odd but not entirely unpleasing. You've made a straight bulldog that gives the illusion that it's bent. The reason is because your shank exits the bowl so low. I agree that a slight bent in the stem would have better completed the illusion. Without the bend it leaves me feeling uneasy like it doesn't know if it wants to be a straight pipe or a bent pipe. I'm guessing the airway drilling is greater than 90 degrees from the tobacco chamber.

Thanks Wayne, and yes the drilling is about 110 degrees.
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
calsbeek

Post by calsbeek »

I am not qualified to review this beautiful pipe, so my critique is, I hope, more of a conversation starter. To my eye, there is a small indentation about 1/3 of the way down the back of the bowl. It seems to me that this is where the top of the bowl should be, such that the rings are nearer the top and there is more symmetry to the bowl.
Am I way off on this? I also think of bulldogs as having more slope to the bowl above the rings. no?

your stem is really nice and I love the finish.
N.Burnsworth

Post by N.Burnsworth »

calsbeek wrote:I am not qualified to review this beautiful pipe, so my critique is, I hope, more of a conversation starter. To my eye, there is a small indentation about 1/3 of the way down the back of the bowl. It seems to me that this is where the top of the bowl should be, such that the rings are nearer the top and there is more symmetry to the bowl.
Am I way off on this? I also think of bulldogs as having more slope to the bowl above the rings. no?

your stem is really nice and I love the finish.
Thanks calsbeek, I think the indentation you see may be where I lost a bit more material during blasting. As far as the bowl proportion above the rings, it was part of my design. I was going for more of a tall stack with a forward and upward movement for the overall composition. It definitely is not a traditional bulldog, but instead influenced by the traditional shape. I understand that basically is saying it is a freehand kind of bulldog shape, which I guess may or may not be good for critique, but it is what I set out to accomplish. My beef is, as Wayne stated, with the awkwardness of being a bent or not, and the sharpness of the bottom line running up the chin of the bowl.
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I like this shape a lot. There are several things I would do differently with the shape, but I don't see anything I would say is definitely wrong with what you did. You seem to have a clear idea on this one. If I were you, I'd just figure out a thing or two you'd change and make another one like it. I think a few more iterations with your own personal touch would turn this from a good shape into a great shape. But I think you're the best one to determine which things to change.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

Hmmm...drilled like a horn, shaped like a bulldog. What to call this shape?
Seriously though, I really like it. Plenty of forward motion and sharp lines flowing graciously into that stacked bowl. Kind of a Danish modern feel, and compositional very well balanced. Finish complements the shape nicely. Good work.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by caskwith »

With some tweaking that could be a very cool shape, I might have a go at something inspired by that actually.
N.Burnsworth

Post by N.Burnsworth »

Thanks guys, it's definitely a shape I will be revisiting many times soon. I really like it and want to develop it quite a bit more. I really like the bulldog shape and I think a lot can be done with it, in just small subtle changes, it can make a huge difference.
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
N.Burnsworth

Post by N.Burnsworth »

Ratimus wrote:Hmmm...drilled like a horn, shaped like a bulldog. What to call this shape?
Seriously though, I really like it. Plenty of forward motion and sharp lines flowing graciously into that stacked bowl. Kind of a Danish modern feel, and compositional very well balanced. Finish complements the shape nicely. Good work.
Hahaha! Yes I suppose with it's forward upward movement and drilling of the horn it could be call the Horndog! :lol:
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
Oakbear

Post by Oakbear »

Horndog - Genius!

I really like this. I agree a slight bend in the stem would be an improvement though as it would continue the flow.
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

N.Burnsworth wrote:
Ratimus wrote:Hmmm...drilled like a horn, shaped like a bulldog. What to call this shape?
Hahaha! Yes I suppose with it's forward upward movement and drilling of the horn it could be call the Horndog! :lol:

LMAO Now, that there is funny, you should refer to it as the Horndog from now on! :lol:
rdpipes.briar.club
N.Burnsworth

Post by N.Burnsworth »

RDPowell wrote:
N.Burnsworth wrote:

LMAO Now, that there is funny, you should refer to it as the Horndog from now on! :lol:

Done! LOL :lol:
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
Charl

Post by Charl »

Interesting shape, really like the idea. I agree re the slight bend.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I have a pipe with not quite as sharp of a keel.Very Danish and I like it .I tend to go with Wayne and Caskwith on this one.Make more of these, you have something here worth more exploration!
socrates

Post by socrates »

Don't normally like bulldogs but I like this one.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk
N.Burnsworth

Post by N.Burnsworth »

Thanks for all of your input and compliments. I am working on a true bulldog and a Rhodesian now and then I'll probably revisit this "Horndog" shape to see if I can improve it.
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
N.Burnsworth

Post by N.Burnsworth »

So I usually check out what Chance has listed once a week or so, and I just seen this. It is somewhat similar too what I made. I knew that mine was not new and innovative, but thought I'd be a bit more rare. LoL perfect example of nothing new under the sun.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/VERY-MINT-PH-VIGE ... nav=SEARCH
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar