Natural Prince

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.

Natural Prince

Post by 363 »

Just finished this prince, 1st take at the shape. Would love some feedback, sorry not the best photos, camera was dead so I tried the best I could with my phone.

Nate

Re: Natural Prince

Post by Nate »

Not a bad one for the first try. To me, you just need to tighten up all your lines. Make sure there is no waviness on any. The bowl should be a bit tighter as well, tuck the heel a bit more and also the back (front for Wayne/Tyler). The stem bend seems off to me as well. Princes have graceful bends, but this one doesn't seem to have as much grace as it should. Others far better than me will have better input on these points, so listen to them. Not too shabby for your first run!
Alden

Post by Alden »

Not too shabby. The biggest issue to me is the pipe lacks definition. None of the lines are crisp and true the way you want them. The top of the bowl, transition to the shank, the lines of the shank. It is all a bit formless and not well enough defined.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Some good stuff from Nate and Ryan.

I would really concentrate on the bowl on the next one. Work on making the lines sharp and giving the entire pipe a bit more focus. If I held a perfectly executed prince up and then squinted your pipe is what I would get. You got the bones down pretty well.....now it's time to put some fine ass eye candy on top.

You already know how to make the shank and stem better on the next one and doing so from the beginning will be much easier than trying to fix one midway through.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

The thing that stands out the most for me is the rim. It needs some definition. I've seen some of your work, and it's pretty good, but that rounded over rim does not reflect the reputation that you have worked hard to establish so far. It makes it look like a pipe turd, and I know you don't make pipe turds. Most princes have a flat rim. Never seen one rounded over like that. Not bad overall though. I look forward to seeing more of your work.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/

Post by 363 »

thank you for the feedback, all things I will work on for sure. Not to sure why I ended up rounding the rim over come to think of it, next one I will correct that issue as well as work on the others brought up and hopefully the next prince I will have at least a bit of that fine ass eye candy to go along with the bones.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

363 wrote:the next prince I will have at least a bit of that fine ass eye candy to go along with the bones.
Keep that ass candy off your pipes...
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

sandahlpipe wrote:Keep that ass candy off your pipes...

This^^^ from the dude who has something about liking kankles in his tag line :lol:
www.ladybriar.com
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Sorry, but after further reflection I realized that the ass candy comment belongs in the vegan shellac alternative thread.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

:lol:
www.ladybriar.com
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

Is ass candy vegan?
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by PremalChheda »

Brendon,

What Nate said, and to further reflect on how to achieve the more smooth lines is to use a flat file or maybe sandpaper over a flat surface to shape from where the bowl meets the shank all the way to the button. You need at least 1" of straight cutting surface that is flat. This will teach you how to use your hands to achieve a very crisp flowing line. You can then practice using a disk or belt once you have got a handle on using a hand tool to do it.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

All good suggestions. What I see on the rim is a rounding over from the side of the bowl to the rim. Thats the issue. Rounding the rim usually makes a nice finishing touch, so I would continue that. You just have to make a distinct break from the bowl to the rim.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Great notes from everyone.

The stem appears to bulge slightly after the stem/shank junction in the top and bottom photos.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

I don't see the rim as a problem; it's a look. It's not a great look, but I don't think it puts you in the "turd" category as mentioned above. As a few others mentioned, your lines need to be dead straight. Weak lines detract from the composition, and strong, true lines lend confidence to the piece.

Post by 363 »

Yeah, I noticed in the photos that the stem wasn't as smooth as I thought it was. all good feedback and I plan on putting it to use in the future for sure. Thanks all
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Just as an aside, that's an extremely difficult pipe to make well. It's much easier to lose control of a curve here or there, have something be lumpy, or too flat... like, making a nice, bangle-free Prince is a really hard thing to do. That's not a great pipe but it's not a turd by any means. That pipe has 34/558 things done just right, and the next one you can get 40/558 things, that's how this works for most of us. :D
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Charl

Post by Charl »

:notworthy: I bow to the Sas! Well said, Todd! That's exactly how it goes, just way more eloquently put than I would ever have been able to! :D