#4 Zulu

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Jakub P.

#4 Zulu

Post by Jakub P. »

Hi guys. My fourth pipe turned out to be my first commissioned pipe so it has a special meaning to me. I'm pretty much sure there is still something that can be done better. Can you help?

PS. For a better view I made a comparision with my third pipe.
Attachments
1.JPG
(64.54 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
2.JPG
(137.91 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
3.JPG
(112.66 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
4.JPG
(105.46 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
5.JPG
(110.25 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
"Making pipes is easy. Making GOOD pipes is hard. Just keep at it and never be satisfied" - George Dibos

www.nouw.com/jp_pipes/about-me
www.etsy.com/ie/shop/JPPipes?ref=search_shop_redirect
www.facebook.com/JP-Pipes-962144290546960/?ref=hl
sandahlpipe

Re: #4 Zulu

Post by sandahlpipe »

I'm not an expert on the Zulu, but this one looks nice enough. Especially for a 4th pipe! Why did you make the rim darker than the rest of the pipe?
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

The smaller one's stem still has too much material from the shank to a point about 60% of the distance to the button.

Also, the shank itself doesn't taper consistently. (It flares a little as it approaches the shank/stem joint.)

Re-cut the final inch of the shank, extending the lines through the midpoint of the stem, and you'll have it, I think.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Better.
Listen to George.
The black rim to me is a bit distracting, though.
Jakub P.

Post by Jakub P. »

Thank you for your comments.

sandahlpipe wrote:Why did you make the rim darker than the rest of the pipe?
From time to time I like to try a different ideas. Most of them end up badly like this one but hey, I'm a beginner ;)

LatakiaLover wrote:The smaller one's stem still has too much material from the shank to a point about 60% of the distance to the button.
Would it be too much to ask for some drawing? I'm not sure if I understand and I don't want to mess up something.
"Making pipes is easy. Making GOOD pipes is hard. Just keep at it and never be satisfied" - George Dibos

www.nouw.com/jp_pipes/about-me
www.etsy.com/ie/shop/JPPipes?ref=search_shop_redirect
www.facebook.com/JP-Pipes-962144290546960/?ref=hl
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

The couple zulus I made are too fat too. I downloaded a bunch of pictures to try and get the shape suitable, but mine are still too fat. I ended up getting a hold of a dunhill zulu, and took a bunch of pictures before I sold it. I'll see if I can find the pictures and post them when I get a chance.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Well done, Jakup, there aren't many 4th pipes that are that well executed.
I did study your photos with LL's recommendation in mind, and agree that that might improve things a bit, but you are almost there right now. If you look carefully at the stem from your first attempt and that of your second, your can see that the second bulges (or maintains a fullness) from about 30% to about 50% of the distance from the tenon end that the first does not. The shape of the first stem is almost perfect. It has a continuous taper along the whole length. LL is suggesting that that taper start in the last 1.5 cm of the shank.The trick would be to avoid any changes in the line while doing this.
If you attempt that, plan the whole procedure out from the start and take tiny passes with a file, checking for continuity frequently.
Having noted that, that second pipe looks as good or better than the several Zulus that I have owned over the years, and certainly better than the last that I have attempted.
I am now inspired to try again.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

Good job!!

I think the guys are explaining a simple thing in a pretty convoluted way. What George meant, and it actually is the only major issue on this pipe, is that the mouthpiece is too wide.
Looking from the top, the sides of the mouthpiece should go from shank to bit in a smooth line and the bit should be the widest part - now it looks like the bit is a little bit narrower than the rest. Just take off some material from the sides of the mouthpiece and it should be good :)

EDIT:
Just now I re-read George's post and I think he actually meant the profile view. I agree, there is still a bit too much material on the mouthpiece looking from the side too, but it doesn't bother me as much visually as the bulged sides. In any case, put the stem on a diet ;)
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

That's significantly better than the previous attempt. Overall, I think the shaping looks real nice. One suggestion I have is to shorten the shank a bit and lengthen the stem. George's advice on the stem is spot on. There's still material left to be taken off. I think you did a real nice job; especially for #4.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com