No.9 Acorn for critique

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
terryR

No.9 Acorn for critique

Post by terryR »

Time for me to offer a pipe for critique. This is pipe No.9 for me; the third since finding this forum. So, let me have your honest critique. Only way I’ll improve…

self critique...I like the shape of the stummel, hate the stem. Was my first try at turning a decoration on the stem, failed. I need more practice with this after sanding off most my decoration. Also, the Delrin is a pain to bend this thick, so the stem looks kinked and uneven. No more delrin stems for me after shaping Ebonite for pipe no.10!

the bite zone is way too thick. Newby here. I actually sanded through the airway on pipe no.10 trying to do better. Just sanding too quickly and not checking with calipers.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (59.18 KiB) Viewed 2751 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (55.45 KiB) Viewed 2751 times
sandahlpipe

Re: No.9 Acorn for critique

Post by sandahlpipe »

You made the whole stem out of delrin?

At any rate, if you already know your stem is off, I won't add anything there. The finish on the stummel isn't great. It looks like you did a good job of sanding out the scratches, but your shank is lump as evidenced by the fact that you don't have a single line of light reflection, but multiple lines. You want to end up with a single, continuous line there. The bowl/shank junction has plenty of meat left to remove. (And actually, the color of the bowl reminds me of a piece of meat.) I would suggest that you use a darker stain for the base coat and then a lighter stain for the top coat. A lighter stain that's mostly sanded off makes it look blotchy.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
terryR

Post by terryR »

I should take a few other photos. The shank is tapered, but does appear curved on 'top'. Hey, one line of reflection on the top photo. LOL. NOT ready to chase reflections yet. But will keep them in mind for improvements.

Yes the finish sucks. Working on that. My red dye is a bit too pink.
-tr
see one, do one, teach one
terryR

Post by terryR »

A little better shape on the shank?
Anxiously awaiting fresh shellac,
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (94.97 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

That looks much better. I think the bottom line should go the opposite direction. You've got the shank curving up and then back down on the bottom line. The line should instead curve gradually all the way to the end of the shank.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

sandahlpipe wrote:You made the whole stem out of delrin?

At any rate, if you already know your stem is off, I won't add anything there. The finish on the stummel isn't great. It looks like you did a good job of sanding out the scratches, but your shank is lump as evidenced by the fact that you don't have a single line of light reflection, but multiple lines. You want to end up with a single, continuous line there. The bowl/shank junction has plenty of meat left to remove. (And actually, the color of the bowl reminds me of a piece of meat.) I would suggest that you use a darker stain for the base coat and then a lighter stain for the top coat. A lighter stain that's mostly sanded off makes it look blotchy.
Jeremiah, "your shank is lump" just might be my new favorite saying. Also, the meat comment cracks me up. That is all.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by sandahlpipe »

Lol! Damn autocorrect! At least somebody's entertained.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
terryR

Post by terryR »

Finally i get to post the usual, IAWJ. :oops:

That pipe is a lumpy piece of meat. No, I'm not proud, but I've already learned a ton that my woodworking buddies cannot teach me. This guy has been re-filed and sanded so many times, there's not enough material on the shank to correct the misshapen bottom.

So, I'll just use it for finish practice, and move on...

THANKS for the comments!!!
-tr
terryR

Post by terryR »

FWIW, although my shank is a lump, my wife never complains!
-tr
terryR

Post by terryR »

Done! I'm never sanding this pipe again! :banghead:

Try to ignore the stem, which is simply a shiny handle.

But, I would like to hear opinions of this finish. Only way I can improve...

image.jpg
(116.71 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
edit...sorry, but i cannot reliably insert the photo without making you guys click the link.
-tr
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I like it. The shank and the stain are much better.
Refinishing a pipe 3-4 times is the norm for me. Unfortunately, that leads to some rounding of the edges if I am not careful. There is always a ridge, flat or deep scratch that I didn't catch on the first go round, and that stain which looked great on the last pipe isn't quite up to snuff on the present one.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
terryR

Post by terryR »

Thanks!

I make a lot of stuff from wood, and always thought I had sanding perfected. Briar taught me humility immediately! I was leaving lots of tiny scratch marks that showed when finished. For me, sanding between coats of dye lets me remove them all. I apply the first coat of dye after 150 grit, and get comfortable with a fresh cup of coffee.

Another technique I've learned is to sand in alternate directions with subsequent grits. Makes it easier to see when 220 scratches have replaced those beneath. I usually stop sanding after 400, and make sure those marks are aligned with the grain.
-tr
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

terryR wrote:Thanks!
....... and make sure those marks are aligned with the grain.
Don't take this personally, I know that you are aiming for the highest level of craftsmanship. This is just a minor pet peeve of mine.
This was a mantra I remember from the 70s. A local entrepreneur teamed with Charles Hollyday to produce freehands. I remember the entrepreneur (who barely had the eye hand coordination to tie his shoes), repeating that mantra ad nauseum.
To me it basically means "hide the scratches in the grain". OK I guess for the mass produced 70s "Freehands", but not for the level of craftsmanship displayed on this forum.
It is practically impossible to follow that advice. The shape dictates the direction of sanding in many areas (for instance at the bowl/shank transition), and what happens on the birdseye?
I try to make sure the scratches are taken out at each stage, and if that means going back 2-3 steps, even to a N0 2 file, thats what I do. When you get to 400grit , you should only be dealing with the very fine shallow scratches from the 400 grit. Those should come out with Tripoli. Anything else means backing up to the proper grit or a file.
Again, this is a philosophical observation triggered by your choice of words and not aimed at your work or work ethic.
Keep on making dust! It only gets better, except when it goes down the crapper.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Charl

Post by Charl »

Terry, it's difficult to say from that pic, but it seems as if there is a curve to the top of the shank, and the bottom is straight? It helps the eye if they mirror each other. I would also round off that pointy bit on the heel.
And don't be scared to take more off the top of the shank, closer to the bowl.