dublin/zulu sandblasted

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
brunonut

dublin/zulu sandblasted

Post by brunonut »

Hello
I'll submit this pipe for critique . I work a lot on sanding for a month, I tested several abrasives and techniques. After many tests (and failures), this starts to please me.
What do you think ?

Bruno

Last edited by brunonut on Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scotties22

Re: dublin/zulu sandblasted

Post by scotties22 »

I like the bowl shape quite a bit. Your shank pinches towards the middle. It may be an optical illusion, but it looks a bit odd.

Your stem needs to be thinner from about mid bend through to the button. Your bite zone looks a bit thick as well (shoot for around .165" right behind the button).

Your button needs to be thicker, front to back, and there needs to be more definition between the stem and button on the bite zone side.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

It's a nice shape. And a nice blast.
Agree with Scottie re rest.
Work from there.
brunonut

Post by brunonut »

Thank you for your comments !
scotties22 wrote:I like the bowl shape quite a bit. Your shank pinches towards the middle. It may be an optical illusion, but it looks a bit odd.
I removed the picture of the stem/shank junction because I have modified this part because I found too thick (and this photo was taken before the change). So it was not an optical illusion.
scotties22 wrote:Your stem needs to be thinner from about mid bend through to the button. Your bite zone looks a bit thick as well (shoot for around .165" right behind the button).
The bite zone behind the button is exactly 4.2mm (.165") :mrgreen:
brunonut

Post by brunonut »

Charl wrote:It's a nice shape. And a nice blast.
Agree with Scottie re rest.
Work from there.
thanks Charl :)
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

brunonut wrote:
scotties22 wrote:Your stem needs to be thinner from about mid bend through to the button. Your bite zone looks a bit thick as well (shoot for around .165" right behind the button).
The bite zone behind the button is exactly 4.2mm (.165") :mrgreen:
Then making your button a little taller and thicker (front to back) should help with your stem looking too thick through the bite zone.
www.ladybriar.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I like the bowl shape very much. The shank and stem need some refinement. The stem is especially thick. Your faux blast is convincing until you get to the shank.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Massis

Post by Massis »

scotties22 wrote:I like the bowl shape quite a bit. Your shank pinches towards the middle. It may be an optical illusion, but it looks a bit odd.

Your stem needs to be thinner from about mid bend through to the button. Your bite zone looks a bit thick as well (shoot for around .165" right behind the button).

Your button needs to be thicker, front to back, and there needs to be more definition between the stem and button on the bite zone side.
.165" sound thick too me, I have always been told to shoot for 0.15" (3.8mm) and to stay under 0.157" (4mm). Have I been misinformed and made overly thin bite zones?

edit: see also here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9713
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I'm with Massis. 3.8mm is the max for me, comfort wise. Clenching 4mm or greater makes my jaw hurt by the time I'm done. Personally, I shoot for 3.5mm or less.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Massis wrote:

.165" sound thick too me, I have always been told to shoot for 0.15" (3.8mm) and to stay under 0.157" (4mm). Have I been misinformed and made overly thin bite zones?

edit: see also here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9713
I should have been more specific in my explanation. I file until I reach .165" and then start final sanding. The bite zone really varies from maker to maker. I personally feel that a stem is too thin once it gets under .150" at the thinnest. There are guys who think anything over that you are trying to clench a tree branch. Most of my stems end up around .160" once I am finished.
www.ladybriar.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I stop filing at 0.170" then sand through the grits down to between 0.160" and 0.150". I agree that much below 0.150" is too thin. That's just me though. Heck, I'm making a new stem for a pipe that I made in 2012 that measured 0.152" and the customer still chewed through it.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Some people chew through just about anything. My theory is that if the pipe is thinner and lighter, people who clench won't need as much pressure on a thin stem as one that's thicker. Then again, I've had one collector tell me he puts heat shrink tubing on the bite zone to protect all his pipes.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
brunonut

Post by brunonut »

scotties22 wrote: Then making your button a little taller and thicker (front to back) should help with your stem looking too thick through the bite zone.
You're right, the button must be taller and thicker.
I always tend to do too thin, because I like it personally
Massis

Post by Massis »

Is it me or is the bowl rim severely overbuffed?
brunonut

Post by brunonut »

not particularly, the bowl rim slightly curved
Charl

Post by Charl »

Maybe from sanding? The stain should be even all over the pipe.