My #3 kit

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
danilo

My #3 kit

Post by danilo »

Well,

Hi there, this was my secound done all free hand.

I know the walls are not even, the bottom is actually flat but it wont stand alone so i did this little stand.

This was given as a gift and the person actually liked it. I was not very proud i know i can do better.

It actually looks better then the pic.

Any advice is wellcome any comment as well.

I dont have a wheel so all polish is hand made.
Also sandpaper over 600grit are damm expensive so i am using only until 600. I will start using 1000 when i buy a polish wheel. ( it is like 2 US$ per sand paper ) Image

ImageImageImageImageImage
DocAitch

Re: My #3 kit

Post by DocAitch »

This pipe has attractive grain and a nice concept.
The major thing that leaps out is the fact that you worked the stem and shank separately, leaving discontinuities on the surfaces.
The shank/bowl transition shows some asymmetry where the corners of the diamond meet the bowl, and as you mention, there is some variation in the thickness of the bowl walls.
These areas should be addressed with careful file work. You will be pleasantly surprised how effective a few strokes of the file will be when you reach this stage.
DocAitch
I know that your work area is limited, but you need a means of holding the stummel steady for your file work. A dowel that fits the bowl held with some sort of clamp to your table will work. I will PM some photos of something I am working with.
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
danilo

Post by danilo »

Tks doc! Nice words. I am starting my 100% billiard and i hope to do a better job. I never worked on the stem without the shank but it does look like like. I am having a huge hard time to get it done right.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Cool, you've made a pipe. Now make more!
:D