Morta Lovat

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
kamkiel

Morta Lovat

Post by kamkiel »

This a pipe I made with morta. The shank extension is acrylic and it has a military mount juma stem. I can't sandblast so it was left smoov. While it was fun to make a pipe out of morta, briar is still preferred. I had made another pipe out of morta that never made it up for reviews and was smoked by yours truely. It cracked on the rim during the first smoke from heat I'm assuming. Anyhow, I will leave morta to the guys that understand it better than I do.

Critiques and comments are welcome

Thanks for looking,
Kiel
PremalChheda

Re: Morta Lovat

Post by PremalChheda »

Overall, not so bad. (that means good)

More space/material in the curve of the flare on the mortise side of the pipe, and centering the high point by adjust both the flare and saddle. A little shorter on the stem may be more attractive as well.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Very attractive pipe. If I were a morta fan, I would want that pipe in my rotation!
What are the attractions of juma? I see it popping up more frequently on the artisan pipes. I like the look and feel of acrylic, but find it harder to work than ebonite, and have no experience with juma.
DocAitch.
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

PremalChheda wrote:Overall, not so bad. (that means good)

More space/material in the curve of the flare on the mortise side of the pipe, and centering the high point by adjust both the flare and saddle. A little shorter on the stem may be more attractive as well.
Thank you Premal. When I am doing the curve on a saddle stem I have some chainsaw files and a few dowel rods with different diameters. I always find that the saddle gets sanded too much and changes the shape of the whole stem, or not enough and looks like it does now. Now I pretty sure the answer is just to take more time and be more careful while making the saddle, but I am also open to suggestions on better methods or more useful tools.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

DocAitch wrote:Very attractive pipe. If I were a morta fan, I would want that pipe in my rotation!
What are the attractions of juma? I see it popping up more frequently on the artisan pipes. I like the look and feel of acrylic, but find it harder to work than ebonite, and have no experience with juma.
DocAitch.
Thanks Doc. I am going to put this pipe into my rotation and hopefully it goes better than the first morta that cracked on me.

Last summer when I was travelling around America, a good friend of mine gave me a rod of juma because he isn't using it as often as he thought he would. I really enjoy working with juma. I feel it is easier to work with than acrylic and ebonite.  I used it 
on a bent pipe I made for myself a couple months ago, and noticed 
that the stem is slowly losing it's bend.  Not sure if that is normal with juma, but we'll have to wait to see what other people say about it.  Sorry about the sudden change in the font.  I am using my 
wife's computer and it can suddenly become stupid.