Pipe no. 7

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Lowpockets

Pipe no. 7

Post by Lowpockets »

Was trying to make a Cutty here. Feedback would be appreciated.
Attachments
7-1.JPG
(181.52 KiB) Downloaded 787 times
7-2.jpg
(215.47 KiB) Downloaded 787 times
7-3.JPG
(243.28 KiB) Downloaded 787 times
Lowpockets

Re: Pipe no. 7

Post by Lowpockets »

_
Attachments
7-4a.jpg
(156.65 KiB) Downloaded 785 times
7-5.JPG
(245.83 KiB) Downloaded 785 times
7-6.JPG
(204.37 KiB) Downloaded 785 times
Lowpockets

Post by Lowpockets »

-
Attachments
7-7.JPG
(175.01 KiB) Downloaded 784 times
JMG

Post by JMG »

I think one of the most common mistakes of new pipe makers (of which I most certainly am in that category) is that we tend to try to overreach. Often times if we would scale things back and keep them simple we would produce a much better product. I think that is the case here. Between the "button" on the bottom, the shank extension and wild stem, there is just an awful lot going on that takes away from the pipe as a whole. The pipe you made isn't bad, but what I see when I look at it is more so its individual components.

Nice rustication and good fit between the different materials (i.e. no bad glue lines) just too much happening.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Charl

Post by Charl »

Ditto
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I agree with JMG. Also, the nub on the bottom of the bowl is too big and throws off the proportions.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

Overall, the shape and execution aren't bad at all, though I agree that the foot on the bottom should be thinner. The rustication is well done.

I think what we're seeing here is that the individual components are all visually "busy." It's usually best to have a maximum of one visually complex component, whether that be the bowl, the stem, or some kind of ring/extension. The stem on this pipe is so wild that it would be better suited to a pipe that was otherwise pretty plain. The shank extension has some cool pattern to it, but that gets lost sitting between the stem and bowl, both of which have complex colors/textures.

Keep working at it, though. You seem to have the basic engineering figured out. The aesthetics will come eventually.
- Steve S.
Thomas Tkach

Post by Thomas Tkach »

How exactly did you rusticate this? It looks to me a lot like Savinelli's capri root briar rustication.
On land, at sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God.

http://tatmakesthings.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1?feature=mhee
socrates

Post by socrates »

JMG wrote:I think one of the most common mistakes of new pipe makers (of which I most certainly am in that category) is that we tend to try to overreach. Often times if we would scale things back and keep them simple we would produce a much better product. I think that is the case here. Between the "button" on the bottom, the shank extension and wild stem, there is just an awful lot going on that takes away from the pipe as a whole. The pipe you made isn't bad, but what I see when I look at it is more so its individual components.

Nice rustication and good fit between the different materials (i.e. no bad glue lines) just too much happening.
Rats! Just when I was about to make a 3 foot churchworden with an extension for the lighter lol.

Yup I think you're right. I see a lot of pipes made by experienced pipe makers here that are cool but far too complicated for my lack of skill.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7
Lowpockets

Post by Lowpockets »

Thanks for the comments.

I agree, the foot is a bit thick... I was worried about snapping it off during the rustication stage. I probably could have gone quite a bit thinner and still would have been safe. I have to disagree with JMG on wether on not it should be on there though, IMO it's not a cutty without it.

-Thomas, I used a homemade tool for the rustication. The idea came from the forum here but utilized things I had on hand. ...it was easy to make, but still takes a long time to get an even finish.

As for the busyness of the pipe though: I was working with the materials I had on hand. The only feed back I'd received so far was "make a classic shape", so shape was what I was going for. That being said: Literaryworkshop: I will keep that in mind when ordering more materials, my inventory currently is quite busy aesthetically.
Lowpockets

Post by Lowpockets »

*WRT MOC -I do have a lot of prefab vulcanite stems -but I'm not fond of the feel of them ...and I don't think they would have worked any better on this pipe anyway.
2combs

Post by 2combs »

I am quite fond of this rustication.
Tu Combs
RHOX Pipes