A pair of Morta Billiards

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
RobEsArt

A pair of Morta Billiards

Post by RobEsArt »

These are the Morta Billiards I started last week.
The stems are German ebonite and the shank extension is acrylic faux bone.

I completed them on Tuesday August 12, but due to some extenuating circumstances (preparing for the end of life transition of our 12 year old golden retriever Griffin), I wasn't able to photograph them until today.

I appreciate all input, feedback, comments and critiques.

The one on the top I'm keeping.

I'm not sure about the texture on the button in the photo, I think it's lint. I will check it tomorrow in the studio.

Don't let the angle of the bowl in the foreground fool your eye... The draft hole enters the bowl in the center.

Thank you for looking and assistance.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: A pair of Morta Billiards

Post by baweaverpipes »

Very cool!
I'm so sorry about Griffin. It's so hard to lose a pal.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Those are pretty slick!

Why did you leave an unblasted portion near the top of the bowls? It doesn't strike me well. Also the shanks could benefit by having a little more visible taper. All in all I think these are quite nice!
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Sleek, cold, and have bone (faux) accents. I think the ringwraiths in Lord of the Rings would love to smoke these!
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

I think they look dapper and amazing! nice shape and proportions!! The only thing that jumped out at me is I think my personal preference would be to have the stems taper sooner and straighter, rather to have a roundish bulge on their way to the bite zone.

All in all, a coupla stunners!
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
RobEsArt

Post by RobEsArt »

Bruce, Thanks for the comment and condolences. He will be missed dearly.
Jesse, Thank you for the compliment. I left the band of unblasted at the rim to match the band on the shank. I thought it appropriate.
Kamkiel, Thank you.
seamonster, Thank you for the compliments and suggestion.

I appreciate all of the feedback. Thank you.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

I've had to put down a number of "pals" and it's the easiest HARD decision one could make. They've been happy companions for so long, you never want them to hurt. It's humane and blessed. My heart's with you.
Regarding the shanks on your billiards, I think they're rather elegant without a taper. It has to do with the material and shank embellishments. I will point out, I think they're maybe a 1/16" too skinny (at least the one on top). I love what you did on the rims of the bowls, that's a cool touch.
AldenW

Post by AldenW »

These are awesome. Man, I would look so slick smoking one of these.
BrianMadsen

Post by BrianMadsen »

These look very great! I think it's a good idea that you keep the first one, because the second one is just more elegant.
The first one has a bit of a reverse taper going on, because the stem is a bit thicker than the shank in some places, but other than that, great looking pipes!
RobEsArt

Post by RobEsArt »

Bruce, thank you so much for the kind words and encouragement. I appreciate the sentiments. Are you attending Columbus next week?

AldenW, the bottom one in the first pic is available. PM me for details.

Brian, the two pipes came out of one block which had a flaw running through the grain, almost end to end. When I cut the two stummels out, I thought I set the patterns high enough on the block to waste the flaw. However, it showed up in the shank area, and ran up into the bowl wall. I did not previously have a morta pipe, and thought I should so I may be able to comment on them. Despite the flaws, I thoroughly enjoy smoking it. Morta exhibits fantastic smoking qualities, and I would say it "broke in" as easy as a meer.
RobEsArt

Post by RobEsArt »

Jesse, I see you will be at the Smokers Haven show. Will you also be at the NASPC show on Saturday? I'm making every effort to be there on Saturday, I am looking forward to meeting you fine folks.
BrianMadsen

Post by BrianMadsen »

RobEsArt wrote:Brian, the two pipes came out of one block which had a flaw running through the grain, almost end to end. When I cut the two stummels out, I thought I set the patterns high enough on the block to waste the flaw. However, it showed up in the shank area, and ran up into the bowl wall. I did not previously have a morta pipe, and thought I should so I may be able to comment on them. Despite the flaws, I thoroughly enjoy smoking it. Morta exhibits fantastic smoking qualities, and I would say it "broke in" as easy as a meer.
Hey, can't blame you - I would have done the same, because it's still a nice pipe :)
AldenW

Post by AldenW »

<EDIT: Oops, didn't mean to post.>
Last edited by AldenW on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
socrates

Post by socrates »

Very nice Rob, like them both. I haven't forgotten you. There has been a lot on my plate lately. As soon as I can get to the rings I will send you pics.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

RobEsArt wrote:Jesse, I see you will be at the Smokers Haven show. Will you also be at the NASPC show on Saturday? I'm making every effort to be there on Saturday, I am looking forward to meeting you fine folks.
I'll be at both. I'd love to see some of your work. Are you bringing any pipes?
RobEsArt

Post by RobEsArt »

Jesse,
Ocelot55 wrote:
RobEsArt wrote:Jesse, I see you will be at the Smokers Haven show. Will you also be at the NASPC show on Saturday? I'm making every effort to be there on Saturday, I am looking forward to meeting you fine folks.

If I am able to make it, I will bring some pipes. I've never attended a pipe show as of yet, and therefore, I am not familiar with the particular social etiquette. I was hoping to meet you, more experienced pipe makers, to put faces to forum names and possibly ask questions.
RobEsArt

Post by RobEsArt »

Paul,
socrates wrote:Very nice Rob, like them both. I haven't forgotten you. There has been a lot on my plate lately. As soon as I can get to the rings I will send you pics.
Good to hear! I haven't forgotten you either;) I understand, a lot on my plate too.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

RobEsArt wrote:Jesse,
Ocelot55 wrote:

If I am able to make it, I will bring some pipes. I've never attended a pipe show as of yet, and therefore, I am not familiar with the particular social etiquette. I was hoping to meet you, more experienced pipe makers, to put faces to forum names and possibly ask questions.

Sounds great! You can't miss me; just look for the guy with the mustache! :mrgreen:

See you this weekend.
FrenchBriar

Post by FrenchBriar »

Question from a real n00b to the forum.

Not that I plan on purchasing or trying to carve morta anytime soon, but what is morta like to carve? More like Briar or soapstone or something entirely different?

Love the look of these pipes!

All the best,

Andrew
RobEsArt

Post by RobEsArt »

It's different than anything I've worked with. Not necessarily easier or more difficult, just different. There are some similarities to working with fresh oak, but a little more temperamental. Extremely sharp tools is essential. Remember, this is semi fossilized wood, so it is a little more fragile and a little more prone to chipping than fresh oak. I recommend playing with it and experience the stuff for yourself.

Rob