finaly got my workshop running again

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
smokepiper

finaly got my workshop running again

Post by smokepiper »

Been waiting for power for 11 months to get the machinery i got from Bo Nordh running. Now finaly i can start installing the machinery and start making again, visited Eltang for 4 days learning the machinery and made 2 pipes there, or 2 was completed. Image

Spence Pipes

Post by Spence Pipes »

Awsome pipes!! I love the stain contrast on the second one.
sethile

Post by sethile »

Wow, beautiful work on these two pipes, Ronny!

I am very glad to hear that your new workshop is coming along and the equipment is now hooked up. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your pipes. it's great to see your up an running again!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
smokepiper

Post by smokepiper »

thank you!

I had access to Eltangs machinery with these pipes, he invited me for a quick run through the machinery i got from Bo. The stain is Eltangs famous contrast, lots of work but the result is stunning. If translated word by word it´s (brasschloride, natriumchlorat) second is (anilinhydrochloride) the first is blue colored fluid looks like mouthwash, second is transparent. When used the blue is making a yellow color to the wood and the transparent is making a reaction turning the wood pit black. [/img]
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

*smacks forehead*

Now I understand the stain. Man, when I heard "laboratory stain" I was puzzled. I've gone 4 or so years trying to figure out what that meant. Now, I get it, totally! Jeez, I can be dense sometimes. :bangin:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
smokepiper

Post by smokepiper »

:lol: I guess we all have our bright moments, it´s a stain so deep into the wood that i used 10 min polishing with red polishpaste and just freed some tiny spots from the pit black, then i used 400 grid to highlight the soft wood and finaly stained it with pure yellow alcohol stain. No fears of the green effect that other black stains bring when second stain is yellow. It´s just amazing and beautiful
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I've been meaning to try something similar with different chemicals. It *should* create a similar effect, and is a traditional (as in centuries old) method of staining curly and quilted maple. What I want to know, is if it will work on a wood as dense as briar.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

question is where in the world can someone secure a supply of (Brasschloride/Natriumchlorat and Anilinhydrochloride)? I understand the principle but what other (more readily available) chemicals will produce the same effect?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

All you have to do is translate to the common English chemical names, and you can find them very readily. They're typically not inexpensive, however. And in solution, they are treated as hazardous material, so it's best to find them in an anhydrous state.

You also have some chemical knowledge of what does which, and then figure out the concentration of each to put into solution.

As far as the same results? Probably not. However, there are similar results to be gained by using various acids (muriatic for one) and other metallic salts. On their own, the results are rather subtle, but you can amp them up with the addition of other compounds.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
smokepiper

Post by smokepiper »

when i look close to the names on the bottles it says brass(II)chloride, i guess it´s a important message. :lol: i apply the fluids twice each let it dry between applications when i added the second chemical i can hurry up the process with some heat but as eltang doing it he let em dry and after the last chemicals second time he let the pipe rest for 24 hours or more the longer the better. Hope you get this working for you and mind it´s quite dangerous chemicals not for mouthwash.... :lol: