#10 Longshanked poker?

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Jakub P.

#10 Longshanked poker?

Post by Jakub P. »

I even don't know if something like longshanked poker exists. If not, I believe it should ;)

Self-critique:
- I still can't handle with the final finish. I tried few ways and can't achieve the mirror finish and contrast staining
- I'm not entirely happy about the stem. Though, I believe it looks better when you compare it with my 9th pipe. Don't you think?
- This time I didn't forget to taper the shank towards the stem. But the taper I did (0,5 mm) might be not enough.

As always, I appreciate all comments. Thanks.

"Making pipes is easy. Making GOOD pipes is hard. Just keep at it and never be satisfied" - George Dibos

www.nouw.com/jp_pipes/about-me
www.etsy.com/ie/shop/JPPipes?ref=search_shop_redirect
www.facebook.com/JP-Pipes-962144290546960/?ref=hl
sandahlpipe

Re: #10 Longshanked poker?

Post by sandahlpipe »

The stem is all weird.
1. It appears to be thinner by the saddle than behind the button. The taper should go the opposite direction.
2. Your button is wider than the blade of the stem. Don't do it that way.
3. I don't see a need to have a fishtail on that stem at all. Since your button is about the same width as the shank, just make your stem have straight sides.
4. The inlay would look better if it were maybe half as long and with an equal distance between stem face to inlay and inlay to saddle.
5. Your slot is not smooth inside. Take the extra few minutes to sand the slot smooth to 600 grit.

The rest isn't bad. Taper the shank about 1 degree so it gets slightly thicker towards the bowl and thinner towards the shank face. The chamber looks gnarly. If those are burn marks, take the time to sand them out. And if I'm being picky, the stain looks like you buffed off too much of it around the rim and bottom of the bowl. You can round the corner off just slightly before staining, just to break the sharp edge, or be more careful when buffing.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Jakub P.

Post by Jakub P. »

Thank you Jeremiah, you've been most helpful.
"Making pipes is easy. Making GOOD pipes is hard. Just keep at it and never be satisfied" - George Dibos

Charl

Post by Charl »

Shank/bowl transition is looking cool for a number 10. Focus on your stems now, they need it.
calsbeek

Post by calsbeek »

you are progressing fast. Jeremiah's critiques are no-nonsense and will help you towards artisanship.
you're on your way.
nice focus.
Jakub P.

Post by Jakub P. »

Hi folks. Thanks you so much for all your comments.

Quick update:

I just wasn't ready to throw this pipe on a pile along with all others and decided to improve the contrast staining. I haven't changed anything else.

DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Jakub, looks better.
Around the top of the rim, the dark stain hasn't been sanded enough.
Try using something like a sanding stick ( a stick about the size of a pencil with a narrow strip of sandpaper over the end , I use one with a flattened tip) to gently 'erase ' the dark stain, like you were erasing a stray pencil mark.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Jakub P.

Post by Jakub P. »

Great tip, Doc. I'll give it a try in future pipes. In this particular pipe I'd like to keep it as it is. It gives a nice impression of vintage pipe with burned rim.