#11 Lovat

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Jakub P.

#11 Lovat

Post by Jakub P. »

Hello guys. I've just finished my second lovat. It was was my 5th pipe when I faced with that shape for the first time. I believe that my 11th pipe shows some progress. I'd say stem and contrast staining look better. I think I've finally found the right way and just need to improve it.
Tomorrow I'm going to start another lovat. I'll be grateful for any advice which can help to make it look better.
Thanks and have a great rest of the weekend.

"Making pipes is easy. Making GOOD pipes is hard. Just keep at it and never be satisfied" - George Dibos

www.nouw.com/jp_pipes/about-me
www.etsy.com/ie/shop/JPPipes?ref=search_shop_redirect
www.facebook.com/JP-Pipes-962144290546960/?ref=hl
LatakiaLover

Re: #11 Lovat

Post by LatakiaLover »

The stem looks like you stopped shaping with 25% of the work remaining. The blade is too thick, the button too chunky, the slot unfinished, and the radius of the blade uneven.

The good news is there's no reason you can't keep going. No unrecoverable mistakes were made, you just stopped too soon.

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Jakub P.

Post by Jakub P. »

Thank you Mr. Dibos. I've already seen your video tutorial about stem (button to be exact) shaping. It's a great source of knowledge.
The problem is, it's so damn hard to make a proper stem. Even when I know the rules.
"Making pipes is easy. Making GOOD pipes is hard. Just keep at it and never be satisfied" - George Dibos

www.nouw.com/jp_pipes/about-me
www.etsy.com/ie/shop/JPPipes?ref=search_shop_redirect
www.facebook.com/JP-Pipes-962144290546960/?ref=hl
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Jakub P. wrote: The problem is, it's so damn hard to make a proper stem. Even when I know the rules.
Yes and no.

Yes, in that not many people manage it; but no in that anyone who is determined to, can.

The best way to get there I know of is to try to copy an existing good stem, so you have something to "go by." Think of it as a road map. Keep it within reach while working and compare frequently.

Remember that stem shaping is 100% subtractive, so to avoid trashing it and having to start over "sneak up" on the desired final dimensions until you get comfortable / experienced.

The rest is just knowing what tool to reach for in a given situation.

For example, giving the blade a symmetric, rounded cross-section (the red line is what you want, the yellow arrow points to the irregular arc you have) is easily done with a pillar file (a flat file which has no teeth on its edges).

http://www.ottofrei.com/Glardon-Vallorb ... ile-6-Inch

Last edited by LatakiaLover on Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

The stem and especially button won't be as comfortable as one should expect from a handmade pipe. The bottom third of the bowl is not symmetrical. The cheeks don't match each other, and the curve on the chin doesn't match the shank side curve. Otherwise, it's not too bad.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
MmmPeace

Post by MmmPeace »

Jakub P. wrote:Thank you Mr. Dibos. I've already seen your video tutorial about stem (button to be exact) shaping. It's a great source of knowledge.
The problem is, it's so damn hard to make a proper stem. Even when I know the rules.
Would you mind sharing a link for this tutorial video please? Having difficulty shaping stems/buttons..
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8600
This is about finishing behind the button. There is a lot more material in the "Stem Work" section.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
MmmPeace

Post by MmmPeace »

Thanks, Doc!
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Nice job, but the stem needs to be finished, per Latakias comments. Then U will have a very nice pipe Sir!!!