Critique and suggestions

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
pmbattles

Critique and suggestions

Post by pmbattles »

Looking for some critique and suggestions on this before I move forward with it. I can see the asymmetry in the cheeks in the 3rd pic and it looks like the shank tapers towards the bowl. I also plan on bending the stem. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
IMG_2467.jpg
(48.77 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
IMG_2475.jpg
(51.13 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
IMG_2477.jpg
(49.01 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
IMG_2470.jpg
IMG_2470.jpg (214.9 KiB) Viewed 1547 times
IMG_2469.jpg
IMG_2469.jpg (232.54 KiB) Viewed 1547 times
LatakiaLover

Re: Critique and suggestions

Post by LatakiaLover »

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
pmbattles

Post by pmbattles »

Is the bottom line showing me that I am not straight or that I should have had the shank at a slightly lower angle?
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

That's just to show the "elbow" between the shank and stem. Something wonky is happening in that area. There are too many parts involved to be sure from the pics, and how to avoid introducing The Wonk next time depends on what steps you took, and their sequence.
pmbattles

Post by pmbattles »

Ohhh gotcha...is using a bastard file with long flat strokes the best way to fix A Wonk or is it kinda like a kiss of death?
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

At this point I would bend the stem and continue to shape both shank and stem saddle accordingly. (Maybe touch a smidge of blade or the bowl/shank junction if necessary, as well.)

Shoot for unbroken, continuous flowing lines from every viewing angle.
Last edited by LatakiaLover on Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I don't know if you are going to be able to correct the asymmetry/angle of that stem shank junction. It looks like you have a Delrin tenon and not a lot of room to work with on the bottom.
When I work on a round stem shank junction, I have found that rotating the stem 180 and 90 degrees periodically shows me where I am deviating from round, and it also shows if I am developing an angle from my centerline. This has to be done frequently or you will end up with a very slender shank/stem.
DocAitch
Also, on that assymetry of the cheeks, a contour gauge (device with multiple pins which is pressed against the contour) the pins take on the contour and this can be compared side to side. This helps to suggest exactly where material needs to come off. These are available in Home Depot for ~$8. If this isn't clear, I can PM a photo.
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy