oval shanked billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
pmbattles

oval shanked billiard

Post by pmbattles »

Let me have it..
Attachments
IMG_2510 (1).jpg
IMG_2510 (1).jpg (36.97 KiB) Viewed 2091 times
IMG_2509 (1).jpg
IMG_2509 (1).jpg (35.82 KiB) Viewed 2091 times
IMG_2511 (1).jpg
IMG_2511 (1).jpg (33.49 KiB) Viewed 2091 times
IMG_2507 (1).jpg
(38.17 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
IMG_2506 (1).jpg
(28 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
LatakiaLover

Re: oval shanked billiard

Post by LatakiaLover »

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Besides LatakiaLover's lines, you have 2 other things going on.

1. The whole angle of the bowl is canted too far forward. You don't want more than 3-5 degress of forward cant. Otherwise, the front of the bowl just looks weird.
2. You have too much of a chin. The curve around the front of the bowl needs to be more graceful.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Yup. Forgot the chin. Thanks, JS.

pmbattles --- Proper bowl cant falls within a range and is somewhat a matter of taste. Since it's hard to draw and easy to imagine, though, no yellow linificationage (linifyzing?)

pmbattles

Post by pmbattles »

LatakiaLover - Thanks for the linificationage, that really helps. Could I get a short clarification on what the two lines on the stem are telling me and the long line down the side of the stem on the top view.
Charl

Post by Charl »

I can try: Shorten the saddle, shorten the whole stem by about 1/2 and inch (see, the 'mericans silly measurements are rubbing off) and the long yellow line along the stem on the top view, means it has to be straight.
That's my interpretation, any case.
Another thing: back side of the bowl should mimic the front. Bring it in more towards the bowl by the shank/bowl joint.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Oh, yes: I like the pipe, btw. There can never be too many oval shanked pipes in my eyes! :lol:
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Another thing: back side of the bowl should mimic the front. Bring it in more towards the bowl by the shank/bowl joint.

Charl

Post by Charl »

:lol: Thanks George!
pmbattles

Post by pmbattles »

Thanks Charl, that is what I was thinking also but I wanted to hear it from someone else. LatakiaLover - that's a good looking pipe you have drawn over mine! :lol: I am going to print that picture off and hang it above my workbench as a blueprint. Also, since it looks like I can fix most of these issues with a little more sanding and shaping, I think I will go back to work on this one. I kind of wanted to anyways since I dropped it right as I was finishing it up and dinged up the rim and cheek a little.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I am glad to see that you are willing to recut this pipe. The dance of '3 steps forward and 4 steps back' is one of the ways to learn the craft.
My initial over all impression is good, but my eye caught the chin first, then the angle of the top of the bowl, then the length of the stem and shank. I missed the lateral aspect of the stem.
With those areas corrected you will move from 'nice amatuer effort' much closer to 'artisan pipe'.

To the group- would it be correct to say that the length of the stem should approximate the length of the stummel in straight classic shapes ( with the exception of the Prince, and Canadianish pipes{Lovat, Lumberman})? I am still working on this.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
mcdavies

Post by mcdavies »

As a newbie pipe maker trying my hand at my first pipe (billiard as well), can you clarify the adjustments noted above to the length of the shank and stem for me? I've read a lot of interpretations on this (gone back around 200-300 posts in this forum) but, as best as I can figure:

Height of bowl = length of shank = length of stem

Is that right? I understand that there is a level of judgment / taste in this, but would appreciate any guidance as I'm trying to get my first attempt to be somewhat passable...

Oh, and apologies to pmbattles for kinda hijacking the thread!

Mark
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

The distance from bowl/shank to rim and bowl/shank to end of shank should be the same when measured from the top of the bowl/shank transition.

The stem (not including tenon) should be as long as the whole stummel from shank face to front of bowl.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
mcdavies

Post by mcdavies »

Thank you, that is helpful. Just to be clear, in the picture below, A=B (the first part of your directions) and C=D (the second part of your directions)?
Attachments
parts-of-a-smoking-pipe.jpg
(67.46 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

mcdavies wrote:Thank you, that is helpful. Just to be clear, in the picture below, A=B (the first part of your directions) and C=D (the second part of your directions)?
You've got it. Now for the hard part: actually pulling it off. :D
---

Jeremiah Sandahl