Help save my pipe, critiques needed.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
MmmPeace

Help save my pipe, critiques needed.

Post by MmmPeace »

Hey, all. This is my third pipe and my last pipe from a pre drilled kit. I started it in my lathe and made great progress, until while turning the shank I accidentally cut into the bowl. I was able to save it kinda but now I have a tall skinny bowl... in your opinions can I salvage this still, would you offer some ideas or suggestions if you have the time? Thank you all!
IMG_6451.JPG
(84.2 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
wdteipen

Re: Help save my pipe, critiques needed.

Post by wdteipen »

Unfortunately, it doesn't look salvageable to me. Best bet is to chalk it up as a learning experience and move on to the next pipe.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
MmmPeace

Post by MmmPeace »

I figured as much, at least I screwed it up earlier rather than later.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

There still things that can be learn with this pipe. Sand it smoothly up to 400, stain it, and buff it. After all that smoke it yourself and let it serve as a warning to all the other blocks of briar that are in a hurry to become a pipe.
MmmPeace

Post by MmmPeace »

lol thanks kamkiel, I plan on doing that just to practice my finishing on. May even make a custom stem for it to practice those as well.