Poker #1 - first drilled and shaped pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
MmmPeace

Poker #1 - first drilled and shaped pipe

Post by MmmPeace »

Here is my first attempt at a pipe in which I did all of the drillings and also created the stem. I learned a ton on this pipe (did you know a pipe can reach the side of my shop in under a second, things like a briar missile when the buffer catches it...) I know there are issues that I see: The stem needs to be sanded/shaped better before polishing. The main cylinder is a little wonky on the bottom, I lost the straight cylinder due to it being my first ever time shaping on a wheel. The shank is short, I cracked it when fitting the stem so I had to trim about an inch+ off of it. There are a few gouges in the side of the pipe, *see briar missile above... I can live with most of these for my first attempt, but what is really getting me is the stem not meeting the shank flush, after I cracked and redrilled the shank I could not for the life of me get it squared off again. Doc offered advice on how to fix it using a custom dowel sander in the lathe, I still may try that. I know this pipe has a lot of issues but I am happy with how it turned out for my first full attempt. Sandahl also gave advice on making the bowl walls about half the width they currently are, but I really like the chunky look so I rolled with it this time. Sidenote: the photos show the top of the bowl and the end of the shank as being rough, it is just compressed pictures, they are indeed nice and smooth and slightly beveled/rounded.

Questions I have: For stem shaping I am using a 1/2" sanding belt on my bandsaw, which is not the easiest... Do you all shape on your sanding wheels? I need to purchase some small files for the stem and also a dremmel, any specific sets of files or dremmel bits you all use? Other than what I see as issues, what do you all think? I want to get better, so let me have it!
1.jpg
1.jpg (105.02 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (100.79 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (63.36 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (110.36 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (70.08 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
sandahlpipe

Re: Poker #1 - first drilled and shaped pipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

A 1x30 belt sander is probably the most affordable tool you can get that will save you the most time. I got one off Craigslist for $100 with a router and router table as part of the deal. You can also fairly easily make yourself a 1/3-1/2 horse sander from a motor with an arbor and sanding disc. The 1x30 sander is easier to start on and there isn't much you can't shape with it.

For dremel bits, I mostly use a small radius round nose bit for tweaking some shapes and the standard cutting bit just about everyone uses for cutting the slot guide. I have plenty of other bits, but rarely use them. I usually prefer to work with good files.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

The entire stem can be shaped with files (after drilling and the tenon and face has been turned).
I use a cheap 1" belt sander from Harbor freight for roughing stems but could work with just files if I had to.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I use a belt sander and a lot of files and of course my dremmel tool for starting the slots and sometimes for shapping...