#2 freehand

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
MmmPeace

#2 freehand

Post by MmmPeace »

Originally this was going to be a bent apple, but I snapped off the shank in my lathe and had to improvise a new shape. I am really happy with this one, it, of course, has a couple of issues (again I launched it while polishing, putting some small marks on the bowl) but I am pretty pleased with it. I had the stem flush with the pipe but when I removed the stem to stain and polish I created a gap, not sure if it is the pipe or if I am just not seating it tight enough, looks like it will be flush if pressed tightly so I may give it a go. I do need to shave down the button quite a bit but I wanted to show my family my pipe on Easter so I just polished it as is. This is my first ebonite stem from a rod, I'm pretty happy with it as well. I will probably file more of the inside to really get a more pronounced v shape in the mouthpiece. Not sure what shape you call this, it isn't quite a pickaxe and it isn't quite a freehand, but I lean more toward the freehand distinction. Anywho, let me know your thoughts!
1.jpg
1.jpg (144.94 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (157.4 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (163.97 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (105.95 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (104.31 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
sandahlpipe

Re: #2 freehand

Post by sandahlpipe »

The airway is too high up in the chamber. The stem isn't straight. The button is MUCH too big in all directions. You still have sanding scratches in the saddle, and the stem itself is lumpy. There's more, but I'll stop there, because I think that's a lot to concentrate on when you make your next one.

In order of what to fix next, engineering is first. Get the drilling spot-on and make sure the stem and shank fit right. Then work on basic shaping. If it's supposed to be round, make sure it's round. If it's supposed to be straight, make sure it's straight, if it's supposed to be symmetrical, make it the same on both sides.

Also, when buffing, make sure you don't push the pipe too far into the wheel and don't let the pipe contact the upper half of the wheel as it spins. Wearing disposable rubber gloves can give you better gripping ability as well.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
MmmPeace

Post by MmmPeace »

Thanks, Sandahl. The airway thing was a complete moment of pure stupidity, it was almost perfect but I needed the airway to go a tiny bit further, so I drilled the chamber more thinking that was the smart thing to do, dumb. :banghead: live and learn... When you say the button is too big in all direction what do you mean? I know it is far too tall but is it also too wide and deep? I tried to match the bit depth on a premade as best I could. shaping the stem was a really son of a.. I don't know exactly how I made it so lumpy, it's custom I guess ;) I think my biggest thing is just slowing down when making these and worry more about shape first, finish second. What are thoughts on the stummel, is it ok, bad, fairly good...? lol I was so happy with this one, but I would rather have honest critiques to help me improve. Thank you for taking the time to help!
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

The button is too tall and too wide. For stem work, copy a handmade stem if you're going to go through the trouble of copying. Otherwise, spend some time searching the forum to find out more on shaping stems. There are specific parameters that should be followed to make a comfortable bite area.

As for getting the stem flat, use a flat file to dial in the shape and hold the file askew of the stem. I finish sand with a flattened small piece of scrap as a sandpaper backer to help myself not spend too long in any one area. Stem work is time-consuming to do right, but it's something anybody can be trained to do.

As for the stummel, My comments above touched on them, but bow/shank junction isn't good. If you're referring to the idea of your design, it's hard to tell because the execution of the design distracts from what the idea may have been. Focus on executing first, rather than creativity. Otherwise, it's like trying to ride a wheelie before you know how to balance on a bike. This is why the guys on the board who know their stuff recommend copying someone else's design (i.e. a billiard) first. Consider the billiard your training wheels.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
MmmPeace

Post by MmmPeace »

Noted, thank you!
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

Here, I drew a purty pitcher of the button dimensions I generally aim for:
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by MmmPeace »

Thanks Ryan, that is super helpful for me!
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

These are a good guide. Stems, according to Tom Eltang, need to be consistent from one pipe to the next so the customer can count on the stem being comfortable from one pipe to the next.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
MmmPeace

Post by MmmPeace »

Sandahl your insta post showing the various stems in order of completion was very helpful too, a nice visual for sure!