First completed pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
BriarShrink

Re: First completed pipe

Post by BriarShrink »

caskwith wrote:Why are you having trouble keeping it centred? How are you doing your chucking and turning procedure. A chuck like the one shown should give you excellent results IF you use the correct procedure.
Hi Chris, part of it has been trying to correct mistakes and having to re-chuck my piece. I keep count of the number of turns used to tighten the piece and just loosen one side. I'm working on making sure I've done all I should do on the lathe before I take it out of the chuck. Practice and inexperience. I do like the pins for making sure my drilling is aligned. That's why I moved away from the Greathouse jaws. I marked my Greathouse jaws this morning. Any advice would be appreciated. Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new." ~ Robert W. Service
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I recommend not removing the briar from the chuck once you've started. Problem solved.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

There are methods for re-chucking to a fairly high level of accuracy which you will learn over time. However the best thing to do is to plan as best you can to get everything done in as few movements as possible.

Anyway, I think you are worrying far too much, that's an excellent first pipe, you should be proud of what you have achieved and the tooling you have put together to achieve it. So pat yourself on the back and then pick up another block and do it all again!
BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

caskwith wrote:There are methods for re-chucking to a fairly high level of accuracy which you will learn over time. However the best thing to do is to plan as best you can to get everything done in as few movements as possible.

Anyway, I think you are worrying far too much, that's an excellent first pipe, you should be proud of what you have achieved and the tooling you have put together to achieve it. So pat yourself on the back and then pick up another block and do it all again!
Thanks so much for the very kind and encouraging words. I'm up at 3am my time drawing on blocks. Cheers, Tom

"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new." ~ Robert W. Service
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

You have everything and more that you need to make good pipes, and some experience working with your hands. This one is good for your first completed. I would suggest making some straight shapes. There is less to learn on a straight and you will be able to master the fundamentals more quickly and get acclimated to the tools and materials. Keep it simple with briar and stem, and ask questions along the way.
BriarShrink wrote:
PremalChheda wrote:What equipment do you have to work with?
Hi Premal, I have a small enco metal lathe, band saw, shaping wheels (vfd connected), a small belt sander, a few files (I need more specific ones...was recently reading a post here on files), emery boards, hand sand. I have two chucks and have been struggling with them. One is a NOVA Chuck with an adapter to fit my metal lathe and Steve Greathouse's jaws (going to move back to this one and draw center lines on it) and the other is much more complicated and non-self centering. I just happened to get it for really cheap. One of my biggest problems so far is keeping my work centered. Spade bits for the chamber, dremmel, table vice...more stuff than I really know how to use.

Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Very nice first pipe! It is obvious that you did your homework which is great to see.

The only thing I would add is that the stem and stummel proportions seem a bit off. I think a longer stem would look better. And, your stem is slightly overbent.

You are way ahead of the game. Now, muscle memory to be able to repeat the process effortlessly and dialing in the details is all you have left. If it helps, most professional pipemakers spend the rest of their careers doing just that.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

wdteipen wrote:Very nice first pipe! It is obvious that you did your homework which is great to see.

The only thing I would add is that the stem and stummel proportions seem a bit off. I think a longer stem would look better. And, your stem is slightly overbent.

You are way ahead of the game. Now, muscle memory to be able to repeat the process effortlessly and dialing in the details is all you have left. If it helps, most professional pipemakers spend the rest of their careers doing just that.
Wayne, Thanks so much for the encouragement and advice. I'm looking forward to the next piece. Best-Tom

BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

PremalChheda wrote:You have everything and more that you need to make good pipes, and some experience working with your hands. This one is good for your first completed. I would suggest making some straight shapes. There is less to learn on a straight and you will be able to master the fundamentals more quickly and get acclimated to the tools and materials. Keep it simple with briar and stem, and ask questions along the way.
BriarShrink wrote:
PremalChheda wrote:What equipment do you have to work with?
Hi Premal, I have a small enco metal lathe, band saw, shaping wheels (vfd connected), a small belt sander, a few files (I need more specific ones...was recently reading a post here on files), emery boards, hand sand. I have two chucks and have been struggling with them. One is a NOVA Chuck with an adapter to fit my metal lathe and Steve Greathouse's jaws (going to move back to this one and draw center lines on it) and the other is much more complicated and non-self centering. I just happened to get it for really cheap. One of my biggest problems so far is keeping my work centered. Spade bits for the chamber, dremmel, table vice...more stuff than I really know how to use.

Will do Premal. Thanks!

Charl

Post by Charl »

So, where's no2?
:lol:
Come on!
BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

Charl wrote:So, where's no2?
:lol:
Come on!
Finally done after going through a few blocks :)