bamboo

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
notow1

bamboo

Post by notow1 »

I thought I would try to get better with bamboo techniques and would appreciate any advice and critiques. This has a stainless steel tube from shank to stem forming a reverse tenon. This is just buffed and waxed. Thanks for any comments, Norm. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
DocAitch

Re: bamboo

Post by DocAitch »

I'm thinking that a smoother blending of the lines of the briar/bamboo and bamboo/stem junctions would look better. I can see that you use the node junction of the bamboo to space these junctions, but perhaps moving to the the 3/4 or 1/2 node interval might look better. The string of beads look doesn't appeal to me.
However, incorporating the Buddha belly bamboo is obviously not easily done. I am sitting on a piece because I have yet to figure out how to incorporate its larger diameter and short node interval into a well proportioned whole.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
notow1

Post by notow1 »

Thanks Doc. Are You saying to shorten each junction by half in both directions and make that a flush fit? That would have less of a beaded look, Norm.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

That's what I'm thinking, but I'd like to hear some other opinions.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy