First Billiard in Progress - Feedback Appreciated

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
RickB

First Billiard in Progress - Feedback Appreciated

Post by RickB »

Hey Everyone-
I know this is a little unorthodox to post unfinished work, but I'm in the midst of working on my first billiard as per the board's recommendation, and since I'm trying to teach my hands as well as my eyes, I figured having you guys take a look at this point probably isn't a bad idea. I've been taking pictures along the way and trying to dissect them and adjust before posting anything, and I think this is getting pretty close (I read literally every billiard critique post in the gallery before starting).

The bowl ended up bigger than I'd intended because my S&D bit wandered when I was drilling the chamber (lessons: sharpen my bit, start the hole with a forstner next time, and clamp that shit down better), so I drilled it out bigger to get the airway closer to centered. End result being that the bowl height is about 1/8" taller than it needs to be to match up with the shank length (so the shank is too short), but I didn't want it any squatter looking in terms of proportions. Haven't touched the rim yet since I'm not sure I won't still pull it down some.

Stem is a mess - was chasing a divot on one side and ended up tapering toward the button (and it's still not even). Should have done a fishtail but didn't, and now I'm looking at a button that's a hair under 14mm wide. Not ideal, but learning experience/shop pipe, so I'll live with it.

Main thing I'm not sure about is the cheeks/chin and the shank/bowl transition - how much more needs to come off of those? Less taper along the shank and/or more off the bottom of the bowl? Anyway, really appreciate any help seeing what I'm not seeing - thanks all!
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
LatakiaLover

Re: First Billiard in Progress - Feedback Appreciated

Post by LatakiaLover »

Last edited by LatakiaLover on Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
RickB

Post by RickB »

PERFECT. Thank you so much!
So, as I said above, I literally combed through every billiard critique in the gallery (obviously more helpful if the pictures are still up), and have been watching and rewatching (and taking notes on) your videos about polishing "the crease."

So here's the funny part: as I've been working on this and slowly trying to pull down material and carefully figure out where lines need to be, I start hearing this little voice in the back of my head:

"...George Dibos is going to tell you your bottom line isn't straight..."

So I'm working and filing and sanding and I'm checking that bastard with a straight edge every 30 seconds... and I hear that little voice again.

"... George Dibos is going to tell you the curvature of the chin needs to land exactly on the centerline of the bottom of the bowl..."

So I'm checking it with a square and marking the area to sand off with a pencil so I can see where that line is and not go over it but get right on it, and I hear it one more time.

"... George Dibos is going to tell you to pull more meat off the back of the bowl where it meets the shank so it comes down in a straight line..."

...and I... don't pull enough off :banghead: :lol:
100% true story. I'll work on pulling down that back line, chin, cheeks, and top taper more and will repost when I get there. Very helpful to know where I need to be aiming.

Thank you again!
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

The chamber is a bit on the large side for the proportions. You need to slim up the bowl a bit when compared with the shank (about where George put the lines). To do so will require you to make the rim too thin. Not that it will burn out, just visually too thin. Something to keep in mind for the next one. George covered the bases otherwise. And the pipe is pretty nice.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
RickB

Post by RickB »

sandahlpipe wrote:The chamber is a bit on the large side for the proportions. You need to slim up the bowl a bit when compared with the shank (about where George put the lines). To do so will require you to make the rim too thin. Not that it will burn out, just visually too thin. Something to keep in mind for the next one.
Exactly what I thought when I was debating bringing the chamber wider - I figured an airway that was 1.5mm off was going to visually mess things up more than a bigger bowl (because RIP symmetry), but I'm learning that the way a billiard is proportioned is such that changing any dimension means every other dimension needs to be adjusted in concert - it's honestly kind of beautiful how it all comes together when it's right. I'm guessing that's one of the "make 100 billiards" lessons.

Anyway, It was supposed to be a 3/4" chamber, and I ended up having to pull it out to 1" (larger than my preference) with a forstner and then cleaned up the bottom with a dremel and a riffler (only have one chamber bit right now). The bowl walls are currently ~3/8" thick - you think it'd be worthwhile to pull the walls down another 1/16-1/8" throughout and then knock a little height off the bowl? Would a narrow rim be less damning than too big a bowl? For smoking comfort I generally prefer slightly thicker walls (though a lighter shop pipe would be a plus), but I really want to do my best to make this the best pipe I'm currently capable of making.

Thanks so much for your time and feedback! :D
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Your approach & thought processes are ideal for learning pipe making. Provided you have good hand-eye coordination and a delicate touch (both of which, to a significant extent, people are either "born with" or not), you're going to do well at this, I think. :D
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
RickB

Post by RickB »

LatakiaLover wrote:Your approach & thought processes are ideal for learning pipe making. Provided you have good hand-eye coordination and a delicate touch (both of which, to a significant extent, people are either "born with" or not), you're going to do well at this, I think. :D
Very much appreciated! The desire and willingness to learn are definitely there, coordination and delicate touch I can do when I'm in practice (lots of art in school but the skills decay when not in use). I'm hoping they all manifest themselves better as the hand skills continue to improve through time and repetition. I'd mentioned elsewhere that I'd done some luthiery when I was much younger, but it's amazing to me how different the scale is in terms of a line or hole being 'perfect' (in that something being half a millimeter off when you're building a guitar is probably nearly unnoticeable, but it sticks out glaringly on a pipe! :lol: ).
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Looking good, I agree with LL's assessment.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

If you're keeping the pipe for yourself, a mm or 2 off on the drilling is nothing to worry about. It will smoke just fine. Just for future reference. Nice job, keep it up!
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

IAWLL
Your approach and mindset is very good. Definitely perfect this shape now or in the future but also try some other bowl shapes. Then try an elegant bent shank for the next lesson with 2 axis drilling
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
RickB

Post by RickB »

Really appreciate the encouragement everyone. I've taken the bowl down as close as I could to LL's recommendations (I think...) while still having some semblance of a rim. I'll post pics once it's finished. Thanks again!