Apple

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Jakub P.

Apple

Post by Jakub P. »

Hi guys. It's been a while since my last post in gallery. I've made few pipes since that time but I didn't post them because I know what was wrong with them. But here is a pipe. I know there is something not right, I just don't know what.

"Making pipes is easy. Making GOOD pipes is hard. Just keep at it and never be satisfied" - George Dibos

www.nouw.com/jp_pipes/about-me
www.etsy.com/ie/shop/JPPipes?ref=search_shop_redirect
www.facebook.com/JP-Pipes-962144290546960/?ref=hl
DocAitch

Re: Apple

Post by DocAitch »

I like it.I suppose that one could say the bowl is too large in proportion to the shank diameter, but that verges into the realm of personal taste.
It is attractive, crisp, and well executed.
DocAitch
Last edited by DocAitch on Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Nice pipe. Really the only thing I would have done different would be to leave the outer edge of the rim a crisp, clean line instead of rounding it over.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

The stem is a bit too long. The pipe is nice. An apple would be a shorter bowl usually.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

This is a fine pipe. I think most of the critique mentioned here is personal aesthetic.

Frankly, at this stage it's much more difficult to critique a pipe without the actual pipe in hand. If possible, the next step toward improvement is to get one of your pipes into the hands of a professional and ask for comment. Visiting other pipe makers' shops will also help. I'm not sure how many are realistically close enough in Ireland, but you can always ask around. I know I've sent my pipes to other makers for comment on occasion and found it very helpful.
Jakub P.

Post by Jakub P. »

Thank you guys. My apologies but I have forgotten about posting this topic.
Ocelot55 wrote:If possible, the next step toward improvement is to get one of your pipes into the hands of a professional and ask for comment. Visiting other pipe makers' shops will also help. I'm not sure how many are realistically close enough in Ireland, but you can always ask around. I know I've sent my pipes to other makers for comment on occasion and found it very helpful.
Unfortunately you won't find a single pipe maker in Ireland. But every time I'm back in Poland I visit a fellow pipe maker. It's probably the fastest way to acquire knowledge in pipe making. But I still find a great pleasure in digging through this forum.
"Making pipes is easy. Making GOOD pipes is hard. Just keep at it and never be satisfied" - George Dibos

RickB

Post by RickB »

I think this is my favorite pipe I've seen from you. As others have mentioned, most critique at this point is reading like personal preferences, and mine is no different - my eye wants a little bit less taper on the shank (and for the stem to start a little larger and taper more as a result), however that could be 100% because I'm still a Stockholm Syndrome hostage of Billiard Hell(?), so huge rock of salt, obviously.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Jakub, I have made some very minor adjustments here... lopped a little off the top and brought the curve of the walls to be "fat" just a little higher up - more apple, less brandy, if that makes sense.

If it is the case that anyone prefers what I have done, it says a couple things - one is that looking at the pipe holistically, yeah, the bowl is maybe just a hair big and if it's just a little "saggy" in that the widest part occurs a little low, a very minor trim corrects that and suddenly a guy has a really sharp pipe. I just erased the top of the pipe.... I guess this is what it would look like with a flat top! But I don't mind the round rim in this case, it keeps the pipe from being too stern. There's a pleasant mix of English and Danish design and it is fine to keep that imho.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Charl

Post by Charl »

I think Tod got it right.
Very cool pipe, btw.
Jakub P.

Post by Jakub P. »

Thanks Sas and Charl.

Sas, I really like what you did with my pipe. It's pretty obvious it looks better with your corrections. I just have to teach my hands and eyes to work together. Easier said than done.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Yes, it's hard enough to design something "correct", but it's another thing to go and also make it just that way. It's a long process, perhaps never-ending.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
giospro

Post by giospro »

Sweet looking pipe
Gios
Professional Golfer

“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE."