Completed First Pipe ever...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
slowroll

Completed First Pipe ever...

Post by slowroll »

thanks to all the info i've mined from this forum, I managed to complete my first pipe. Found it pretty fascinating, i'll do more. I wanted a big stacked pipe, and they're kinda hard to come by, so I thought I'd make one as my first. I wanted a tall smooth bowl, put a hint of a waist on it so it didn't quite look like a dowel with a shank.
basic specs:
length: 7 inches
dia: 1 5/16 in.
bowl height: 2 1/2 +
chamber dia: 13/16
depth: 2 3/8-ish

got a bit of a blemish on the bowl rim, dammit, my scraper gouge must be a little dull or a pressed too hard. NO amount of oblique light showed that until it was waxed. Rats. Didn't want to put any wax on it before final finishing because I figured I might not get all off and it would blotch the stain.. Have to figure out something to guard against that in the future. I cheated, used a Guidici stem that ai thinned a bit because I wanted to get the briar work done and smoke it. I've made quite a few stems so I didn't need the practise, may make one later when I decide just what shape might be better than this one, which I liked. Here's some photos, hopefully I get them transferred successfully.

Have to do a shout out to Mark Tinsky for the lovely piece of briar. I've ordered more, see if I can extract another pipe or so from the blocks
DocAitch

Re: Completed First Pipe ever...

Post by DocAitch »

Very nice for a first pipe.
It's a little " chinny" and generally I think they look better with the bowl up turn starting a bit further back. Think of the bottom part of the bowl as part of a sphere, with the radius of the chin the same as the radius of the sides of the bowl. I know that the Castello 55 shape doesn't do that, and some folks like the look. I don't.
I refinish pipes all the time and haven't noticed that the wax either from the buffing compound or the final finish interferes with re staining after sanding. The alcohol in the stain seems to dissolve the wax.
Try it out on this pipe. Sand it and restain it and see how it goes. The worst thing that will happen is that you will have a nice smoker with a blotchy stain. Now you have a nice smoker with tool marks.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
RickB

Post by RickB »

IAWD. Only other thing that jumps out at me (and I'm a fellow newbie so grain of salt) is that it looks like the bowl dips below the bottom line of the shank a bit - not a dealbreaker since it's not trying to be a classic billiard (and so maybe it's intentional), but maybe still something to keep an eye on.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
slowroll

Post by slowroll »

RickB wrote:IAWD. Only other thing that jumps out at me (and I'm a fellow newbie so grain of salt) is that it looks like the bowl dips below the bottom line of the shank a bit - not a dealbreaker since it's not trying to be a classic billiard (and so maybe it's intentional), but maybe still something to keep an eye on.
Well,your observations shows you're looking :wink: I did actually do that intentionally. I think it breaks up the long stack effect with another curve. And, it will sit without rolling over without any pronounced flat spot.
Thanks for the comments. Doc, I will try to do as you suggest. You're right, it's a trade off between possible blotchy stain and tool marks. I have to decide which is less objectionable. I'll have to try some wax, then stain on something and see if I can get all the wax off. I'm paranoid about wax and finishes, since I've refinished many airplanes and any residual wax is murder, even under lacquer or dope, which have pretty vicious solvents.
Bniesen

Post by Bniesen »

Your rim looks like it may be slightly convex, I had a similar rim finishing issue recently. Another board member suggested that If you make the rim straight or slightly convex it will be much easier to get a good finish on (I am talking about the shape of the rim specifically, not the relationship of the rim angle to bowl). Also, you can sand out the rim while its still on the lathe, a small amount of water will help show any imperfections that might be left. I think your tool in general is not sharp enough, I see a bit of tear out on the outside edge near the rim as well. Are you using a sharpening jig? What wheel type, diameter and speed is the grinder your using for your gouges?
slowroll

Post by slowroll »

Bniesen wrote:Your rim looks like it may be slightly convex, I had a similar rim finishing issue recently. Another board member suggested that If you make the rim straight or slightly convex it will be much easier to get a good finish on (I am talking about the shape of the rim specifically, not the relationship of the rim angle to bowl). Also, you can sand out the rim while its still on the lathe, a small amount of water will help show any imperfections that might be left. I think your tool in general is not sharp enough, I see a bit of tear out on the outside edge near the rim as well. Are you using a sharpening jig? What wheel type, diameter and speed is the grinder your using for your gouges?
Rim is actually slightly concave. No tearout, must be the light. I did sand it on the lathe but didn't look at it carefully enough with water and an oblique light, it is admittedly tough to sand a concave rim . I rarely have to sharpen my gouge on a wheel, I use a concave sharpening stone. I didn't run my finger over the edge carefulY enough to detect the small burrs.. thanks for comments
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

No critique on the first pipe listen to the others and understand what they are saying
Before you attempt the next one. Nice attempt
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
slowroll

Post by slowroll »

pipeguy wrote:No critique on the first pipe listen to the others and understand what they are saying
Before you attempt the next one. Nice attempt
I shall, thanks for input & comment.