Would Please Like Some Advice On This Cutty

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
shikano53

Would Please Like Some Advice On This Cutty

Post by shikano53 »

I'm still in the shaping/sanding process but I would like to get some feedback from you folks before I go any further. The stem is vulcanite. The stem/shank interface is better thanks to the advice given by you folks on a previous cutty without a spur. I did a search on the work 'cutty' and read as much as I could find. I'm struggling with the size of the spur and how to shape/finish the spur. I looked for dimensions on where the spur should go but couldn't fin anything and in the end I used a picture of a Ropp I found on Smoking Pipes.
As always all comments welcome.
Thanks in advance.
JMG

Re: Would Please Like Some Advice On This Cutty

Post by JMG »

Looks good so far. I think a little more material could be taken off of the area just in front of the foot, before the heal. That would give just a touch more curve to it and help it to match the back of the bowl's curve and be more in line with the shank behind the foot going out towards the stem. Does any of that make sense? Also, the stem could be tapered more evenly from bit to shank.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

The foot of the cutty looks best, in my opinion, when it follows an imaginary line down the back of the bowl through the shank. The foot should be visually part of the bowl, not the shank.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

Thank you for the comments. JMG I will work on the stem to try and taper it more.
Jeremiah, my understanding of your comment is on the next Cutty pull the spur forward more toward the bowl.
How do you shape the spur and is there a dimension the spur should adhere to? I was thinking that maybe if I drilled a hole two or three times larger than what I want the spur to be in a piece of dowel and then cut a small piece of sandpaper and glued it inside the drilled hole that might work to shape it more uniformly.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I eyeball pretty much everything. I'm not sure how the sandpaper in a dowel trick would work, but you could try it. You could use a compass to draw a circle on the base of the foot and just shape with files up to the line.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I agree with Jeremiah. It takes patience, but hand cutting and eyeballing are the way to go( for me, YMMD). I find that relying on a mechanical device such as you describe can cause grooves and scratches that must be removed by hand. The sand paper loads up and wears in spots and you have to keep after that. The time spent making it right is equal to or greater than the time spent doing it properly ( hand and eyeball) in the first place.
Believe me, things have gotten better for me when I accepted the fact that most mechanical solutions to these problems only produce more and different problems
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

sandahlpipe wrote:I eyeball pretty much everything. I'm not sure how the sandpaper in a dowel trick would work, but you could try it. You could use a compass to draw a circle on the base of the foot and just shape with files up to the line.
That's pretty much what I did was use my eyeballs. Is there a dimensional distance that the spur should be placed or the height of the spur like the traditional dimensions for a billiard? I found this pic on the forum showing billiard dimensions and I use it when attempting a billiard.
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

Doc, thanks for the comments. I totally agree with you on the eye and hand. It amazes me what the human eye is capable of and capable of being trained to do. Well spoken sir!
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

Guys thanks for the great comments. I'm going to remove more material in front of the spur to see if I can make it flow with the bowl better.
RickB

Post by RickB »

shikano53 wrote:Doc, thanks for the comments. I totally agree with you on the eye and hand. It amazes me what the human eye is capable of and capable of being trained to do. Well spoken sir!
This thread is a great example of why I read all the gallery comments, even if I don't have anything to contribute - just so much to be learned.

What I keep reminding myself to help me keep patient is that developing a 'practiced hand' takes practice - so IMO always do what you know is the best work you can, but recognize that everyone at every level is still striving for consistent perfection (I think), so you can't necessarily expect to hit it ever - but certainly shouldn't expect to early on. Little improvements, small victories, etc.. YMMV.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

Thanks Rick. I realize after re-reading the comments a few times through again that you all did answer my questions concerning dimensions and measurements. I'm a slow learner. It often takes awhile for things to sink in. I've posted 2 more pics after working on the front of the bowl and spur. Not finished yet, just a few update pics.