My latest

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
josh_ford

My latest

Post by josh_ford »

I had 3 weeks off between graduation and summer work and so I was able to make three pipes, in spite of all the business. These are them. The pictures aren't the best but I just wanted to know what you guys think.

This is a blowfish of sorts that I made for a buddy at school:

Here is another for the same dude

And here is one I made for my brother in law for father's day

The third one is my first hand cut stem. I really am becoming much more happy with my staining and my polishing. Especially the last one, the pictures are terrible, the pipe I am quite proud of.

I still have a lot of work with getting a flush shank/stem connection. I want it to be good but I enjoy the carving and finishing of the overall shape and don't spend the time I should in making that perfect. I think patience is really the fix for that. If any one has any other pointers that would be great.

Josh
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Josh,

That last one is a very nice pipe!

As far as the stem shank join, are you sanding them together as you make the pipe? This should give you a flush fit with no problem.

Turning the stem 180 degrees once or twice during each sanding grit helps to keep everything round also. Also, you should start the taper on your stem right at the join with the shank.

Hope this helps.

Rad
smokepiper

Must agree with Rad Davis

Post by smokepiper »

The last pipe is really nice and the finish is really good too. Keep that up! In the beginning everything is very hard but the small positive changes of success makes you want MORE... Way to go!!!
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

I do sand the two together. I have trouble getting the two pieces to fit flush when I first put them together. I don't have an accurate way to drill square so even if I get the briar and acrylic to sit flush before drilling, after I put in the delrin tennon, which is bound to be slightly off kilter, I have to try and re-sand everything to make it fit flush, which never really happens. I cannot get the two to be perfectly flat at the correct angles to the tennon, if that makes sense. I don't have any kind of equipment to speak of and I drill all of my bowls, airways, etc by hand. I don't really have a better way right now. I'm just not super patient with getting that to fit right. I enjoy every other facet of pipemaking but getting those two surfaces to fit together just drive me crazy.

Josh
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Josh,

I feel your pain about the fit between the stem and shank. Just keep at it, work up to some equipment that will make the easier. As for your pipes, they are very cool. Keep up the good work. Things will get easier.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Yup, the last one's FINE! Very nice. And Bryan's right: for those of us who slept through Meticulous 101, the only answer is to get the right tools and learn to use 'em, i.e., a decent (metal) lathe. Then you can rush things a little and still come out with a nice fit. (Rad's hint of turning the stem while sanding is a good one, too. Wonder why I never thought of that.)