Some advice please

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
flix

Some advice please

Post by flix »

Hi All,

Before I rusticate this freehand, please advise me on trimming it down or leaving it. Do you think it seems a little chunky on the shank?

Thanks in advance, I value your opinion.

--Michael
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Advice:

1. Buy better briar. Your poor soul, you have to be discouraged of late. You have managed to show off some of the most flawed briar I have ever seen in your last few pipes. Wherever you are getting your briar, STOP.

2. A shape such as you are making is sort the definition of no rules. Hard to say that it needs adjusting. That said, from the top view, the shank looks too wide. From the sides, it looks ok.

Tyler
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Tyler wrote:Advice:

1. Buy better briar. Your poor soul, you have to be discouraged of late. You have managed to show off some of the most flawed briar I have ever seen in your last few pipes. Wherever you are getting your briar, STOP.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not trying to make lite... but that was just FUNNY!
flix

Post by flix »

Tyler wrote:Advice:

2. A shape such as you are making is sort the definition of no rules. Hard to say that it needs adjusting. That said, from the top view, the shank looks too wide. From the sides, it looks ok.

Tyler
Bro,

You are so right...but, take heart. I will soon leave the sordid world of Pimo junk and Tim West seconds. I've just talked to a source and he's going to set me up with some good stuff.

That said, I suspect that I could trim the sides of the shank a little bit, perhaps a curving line, that would not detract much from my original mind's view of the design. Other than this pitiful pickle, I've got three more pieces of "junk" I have to endure before my shipment arrives.

I've been sad for too long! ;)

Thank you for the feedback,

--Michael
Nick

Post by Nick »

I'm with Tyler. Left to right looks fat. Top to bottom looks OK