My Beach pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Nick

My Beach pipe

Post by Nick »

Forgive me for these pictures. Boy they came out horrible. I'll try and get some more. But at least you can gat an idea of the pipe. I'd love to hear any comments. This was my first attempt at shaping then drilling. I did run into one small problem. Let see if you all can spot it?

Any ideas?

It should be obvious here in a minute....

D'OOOHH!!!

I tell ya, the drilling here is nearly dead at the bottom of the bowl and strait as an arrow.... Its just about 4 or 5 mm to the right. Man, I had such high hopes for this pipe. It was supposed to be a pot shaped pipe a la larry Roush. But the shank got all screwed up, so I added some bamboo. The stem and spacer are a really neat blue and gold swirl. My daughter said it reminded her of the beach, so it became my beach pipe.
sprangalang

Post by sprangalang »

Still a nice pipe, man.
I've done that too.
:oops: :lol:
The blue stem material is coool.
I was thinking of carrying the offset to the extreme, with maybe a snailshell shape or some other spiral motif.
-Jeff
Nick

Post by Nick »

Come on guys! You can tell me how ugly this bastard is!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Okay, Nick, you asked for it. :takethat:

My initial impression was that the bowl shape could be greatly refined. The angle on the bottom of the bowl doesn't seem to serve any porpose, and is in stark conflict with the angle of the sides. The top of the bowl seems to dip toward the back, and that also creates a area where my eyes stumble. Also, the top of the bowl seems to take a dive inward near the top. It looks like a straight walled pipes, like a traditional poker, but then there's a slight rounding of the walls, but not enough to make it a billiard. It confuses my eye.

The shank length is okay, but there seems to be a departure from the angle of the bamboo to the angle of the shank on the top and bottom. This is evident in photo 2, but seems to be okay in the third photo (being off-center aside). This may simply be due to the photography, it's tough to tell.

One thing that I would like to see is a balance of the shank length, the trim piece, and the bamboo length at the shank. In a short pipe like this, you want the shank/trim/bamboo to be the same length as the previous length between knuckles. So if you have 3/4" of space between knuckles, the combined briar/trim/bamboo length between the last knuckle and the bowl should be about 3/4".

The above paragraph also goes for the stem. I'm not a fan of placing the stem right at the knuckle. It doesn't flow well in my opinion. What I'd rather see is an arrangement similar to the area near the bowl, where you balance the length of bamboo/trim/stem to flow with the knuckle spacing of the bamboo. On the stem material, cut an area to compliment the shape of the bamboo knuckle, then begin the taper of the mouthpiece. For pipes like this, I find that a saddle or very thin taper seems to looks best.

As for being off-center, what can I say. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Very cool! Thanks Kurt! Its definately not one of my better pipes. I really appreciate your critique! Thank you especially for the tips on bamboo aesthetically. I knew something was amiss, but just couldn't see it.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Excellent observations, Kurt. I must try to remember them.

I can't exactly picture what you're describing here, though :confused: :
KurtHuhn wrote: On the stem material, cut an area to compliment the shape of the bamboo knuckle, then begin the taper of the mouthpiece.
PS. Love the new emoticons. LOL
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Like this:
http://www.jdavispipes.com/images/Pipes/38.jpg

See the "knuckle" on the stem?

(Image from Jody Davis' website)
Last edited by KurtHuhn on Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

Aha! ..... a thousand words. Many thanks.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
James Sunderland

Post by James Sunderland »

looks like a great keeper though. I think i might head down to the beach with a pipe tomorrow :thumbsup:
Nick

Post by Nick »

Yea, overall, I kinda like it. I was originally going for a Roush type pot - hence the chin on the front of the bowl. But the shank got screwed up, so I just went wild with it.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Nick, tell folks you deliberately offset the shank, you wanted a left handed pipe.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hehe! That's just what I'll do!