HGD-Pipe #26

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Heinz_D

HGD-Pipe #26

Post by Heinz_D »

Sorry, I'd a lot of work since the pipeshow in Rheinbach and not too much time to participate on any discussions at the forum... :oops:

But I'm glad, that I could finish my #26 today and I want to share some pics and informations about it:

Since my visit at Rainer Barbi's shop I learned a lot about pipemaking and I think the result is not too bad...

The dimensions are:

Length: 156 mm (Stem: 62 mm)
Hight: 49 mm
Bowl diameter: 48 mm
Shank diameter: 14 mm (at the shank/stem junktion)
Tobaco chamber: 21 x 43 mm
Stem: Ebonit handcut, without Filter
Finish: One colour/nature Kontrast (and a very shiny layer of carnaubawax)
Weight: 64 gramms

I would be curious, what you think about the finish and of course any other comment is welcome.

Special greetings to Love and his wife, it was very nice to meet you! Unfortuanately I missed to get in contact with Trevor, but I read and heared about his impressions of the show...
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Very nice heinz! Very attractive pipe...

What I also like is your new photo setup. Some may say that it is a bit too bright, and that may be, but I think it's much better than what you've used in the past!
Tano

Post by Tano »

Now that is a nice pipe!!!
All the best,
Tano
sethile

Re: HGD-Pipe #26

Post by sethile »

Heinz_D wrote: Since my visit at Rainer Barbi's shop I learned a lot about pipemaking and I think the result is not too bad...
Not bad at all, Heinz! This is a very beautiful pipe. I think the finish is very good, although I would like to see just a bit more warmth. Is there any stain at all on this? Perhaps just a bit would help bring out the grain, and a little more color and warmth. But the wood looks very good and clean just as you have done it.

I really like the flow of this pipe, and I especially like the flow of the stem.

Yes, I see dramatic progress since your visit to Barbi's shop.It is wonderful to see your work developing so quickly!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Nick

Post by Nick »

A very Matzhold-esque piece if you ask me. The finish looks great. Man, I wish I lived near Rainer Barbi!
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

Thank you guys.

yes, I'm very happy that I met Rainer! :D Otherwise I don't know, how much influence he has in my shaping - he don't say anything about shapes!

But overall knowledgement and feeling for symmetry and finish has improoved a lot...

Rainer is every year participant of the Chicago Pipe Show - may be worth a visit, if possible.

@Sethile: The finish is a mixture of three different leather dyes... With grinding it down you can assign any colour of light to medium brown. A second mixture I tried is made with some additional red dye... Instead a second colour I left the strukture at this one naturely, but you can contrast with any colour to get a darker pipe - even this I wanted to keep bright. I'm still experimentalizing.

@Bscofield: :D I'm afraid you don't like the beautiful yellow-green of my garden's grass... :shock: But you're right. With a white background ther is nothing detracting from the mainpiece.
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D