Latest Work

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
hazmat

Latest Work

Post by hazmat »

This is the 2nd pipe I've made that includes a handmade stem. I only have this one shot for now, but will be getting a few more of better quality and from different angles over the weekend, hopefully.

The pipe isn't totally finished. I still have a bit of sanding to take care of in the tobacco chamber and I need to make it nice and shiny.. I'm leaning towards shellac for that. Anywho.. here she is:

This was a commissioned piece for a friend of mine. He allowed me much room to play with the shape, stem, finish, etc.. so long as it was poker-ish, which it is. I was shooting for a "tree stump" look and think I've achieved that well enough, though I'm not very thrilled with the rustication. I think it could have been better and less machined-looking. Several people, including the pipe's intended owner, have been disagreeing with me, but I see what I see and it's just.. meh, I don't like it.

The stem came out well, though there is a bit of a bulge just past the initial taper behind the shank that I could have spent more time on, though it doesn't take much away from the look of the pipe when taken as a whole. This 2nd stem caused less frustration in the making than the 1st I did and I managed to do it without taking a mulligan. That's a good feeling. I even fanned out the airway with a 1mm bit.. something I've been a-feared of from past bad experiences.

All in all, I'm happy with it. I appreciate your comments and/or criticisms.

Matt
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Wow, that is some awesome rustication, there.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Thanks.. but you're going to ruin the enjoyment I get out of obsessing over it :lol:
Frank

Re: Latest Work

Post by Frank »

hazmat wrote:I was shooting for a "tree stump" look and think I've achieved that well enough, though I'm not very thrilled with the rustication.
I think you achieved the "tree stump" look just fine. I'm not an expert, but I don't see any fault with the rustication. In fact, it's quite striking.
Other than a slightly thickish bite (could be just the picture), it's a vey interesting looking pipe.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I don't care for poker shapes that much... The only thing that stands out as needing a little work, to me, is the stem. I like the way it comes off the shank, but after your saddle I think it should narrow down more steadily.

But having said that... Let me say: "That picture makes this pipe SING!" That is a really good pic man. Provided that it represents the colors well... But still even if it doesn't, the lighting is very well done.