Christmas time in the workshop

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Christmas time in the workshop

Post by KurtHuhn »

I didn't have to go anywhere or cook anything for Christmas, so I spent some time in the shop. This is what I brought out of it this afternoon:

Please let me know what you think.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

WOW! :shock:
flix

Post by flix »

Very nice classic. Those chamber walls must be a half inch thick! Great job, nothing to critique...sorry ;)
Nick

Post by Nick »

Really cool bud.

To me he endcap on the stem looks a bit thick to my eye. I like the soft transition from bowl to stem. It works very well with the slight bend to the stem. The edges on the half saddle look a bit rounded. Is this the case, or is it just the picture? Generally I prefer to see sharp edges, but that's just my preference. There's a little bit of stain left in the bowl. Hardly noticeable, but some collectors might see it as an issue.

all in all, great pipe bud!
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

'Tis a purty Christmas pipe. The birds eye on the top is particularly attractive.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Thanks, guys!

Nick, the edges on the stem are a little rounded, though not as much as the photo might lead to believe. And that stain ain't coming out - that stuff is in there, and in good. :) It travelled down from the rim through the grain of the wood. I might be able to get a little more out, but instead I should probably just start using a rubber stopper or something if I'm going to leave the bowl uncoated.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

As always, you have managed to get a lovely dark/light stain contrast. The tiny amount of bleed through stain in the chamber is negligible, in my opinion.

I really like the look of a half saddle when well executed, as on this pipe. I'm just curious: due to the deep saddle, does this place the draught hole fairly close to the surface on the upper side of the stem, especially near the saddle junction?
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Wow, I just love that stain. Very nice.