And here goes No. 6 ...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
hollywood

And here goes No. 6 ...

Post by hollywood »

The great feedback and tips I've been getting from so many of you, acted as a great inspiration to get this one done early this morning. It's something of Billiard with a little different spin. Turned out to have pretty remarkable graining and without a couple tiny spots it would have been a perfect piece of briar. I think it "works". How about you?

Dave-
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Do you have six arms, Dave?? You've been cranking out a bunch of pipes!! :D I can't see your 5 and 6 yet as I'm at work and "behind the iron curtain". I'll have a gander this evening. Keep it up!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Dave,

It's hard to tell much from your pics.

Try shooting a straight right and left profile of your pipes along with the others. This will give the viewer a much better idea about the shapes.

Rad
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Nice pipe Dave... your doing VERY well for your first attempts! The proportions on this pipe jump out at me as being very complimenting.

Your shank/stem joint has a line in it that would indicate either grime from sanding or an uneven joint...

The biggest thing that has stood out to me in all your pipes is your finishing. Either your photo's are killing it or your finishes are very muted. Do you get them all nice and shiny?
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

bscofield wrote:
The biggest thing that has stood out to me in all your pipes is your finishing. Either your photo's are killing it or your finishes are very muted. Do you get them all nice and shiny?
He doesn't have a buffer yet.

Hollywood, I don't think I have earned the right to critique your work, so I'll just say, you rock :rockon: , especially considering you are just in midst of tooling up. I am especially amazed at your enthusiasm... 6 pipes in what, two weeks? Your progress is already evident, though some would say that it's too early to have an exotic wood extension... :wink: (on pipe#5, that is)
Last edited by kbadkar on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate the comments. Please be brutally honest. I want to make sure I learn this stuff. I see certain things that really need a bit of improvement in my work; and as my equipment continues to grow slowly, hopefully those will be handled. I still want ALL your thoughts.

I'll try better angles, Rad. I see what you mean.

Ben, it's not your eye, or my camera. It is my finishes. The biggest thing lacking in any of the ones I've done; is proper finishing. I have yet to set up a buffing station in my little shop area. I just got my grinder this weekend, and need to take the wheels off and get the right arbors on it. I'm hoping with that done in the next week or so; I can really give these the polishing they need.
Dave-
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

kbadkar wrote:
bscofield wrote:
He doesn't have a buffer yet.

Hollywood, I don't think I have earned the right to critique your work, so I'll just say, you rock :rockon: , especially considering you are just in midst of tooling up. I am especially amazed at your enthusiasm... 6 pipes in what, two weeks? Your progress is already evident, though some would say that it's too early to have an exotic wood extension... :wink: (on pipe#5, that is)
:lol: Enthusiasm!? I guess that's a nice way to hear "consumed by obsession"!? I am ate up!! 8)

Guess I should wait to post the No.7 I just did this afternoon!? :shock: :lol:
Dave-