Pipe #3

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
wdteipen

Pipe #3

Post by wdteipen »

Here's my latest. I'm pretty happy with the shape of this one but my draft hole is a couple millimeters off center. I'm learning a little more what not to do with each pipe. This was also my first attempt at drilling after shaping which I believe is the contributing factor for the off center draft hole. I just don't have the best setup for this technique although with more practice and perhaps better tools I think I would prefer the flexibility of drilling after shaping. I guess time will tell. The stem is absylux and the slot went a bit better with this one. I think I'm starting to get a bit more comfortable with the process but I have a long way to go.

Again, sorry for the poor quality pics. I might just have to learn to use a camera while learning to make pipes.
Spence Pipes

Re:

Post by Spence Pipes »

Very nice, I really like the shape of that one. I'm still drilling off center every once in awhile too, but pracrice makes perfect. How do you like the ABS compared to other materials? I'll be starting tha adventure of making my own stem's soon, and from what I have read, it seems to be pretty good. I need a class in photography also. Lol.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Hmmm! Very nice! I like!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I've only worked with ABS, lucite and premolded vulcanite so far. ABS is a bugger compared to them. I think that's mostly due to my using a sanding disk that runs too fast. It tends to melt on me. I think with a much slower sander for rough shaping it would be much easier to work with. It files, sands, and drills much better than lucite and vulcanite IMO. It's also very comfortable to clench. Smearing the slot can also be difficult if you don't have a drill that turns slower due to the melting thing. I've since been making my "V" in my drill press at the slowest speed and it's going much better. For the price, it's worth the trouble for black stems, IMO.