Horn

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Tsunami

Horn

Post by Tsunami »

This is the first pipe made on the new (old 1895 F.E.Reed lathe)equipment. The stem is Ebonite with Deer Antler inlay.

Spence Pipes

Post by Spence Pipes »

Nice
Frank

Post by Frank »

The horn or oliphant is one of the shapes I really like.

My personal view is that the underside of the stem should continue the line of the bowl/shank curve. If you remove the half saddle you should be able to achieve this. My personal taste, I would have put the half saddle on the top of the stem, not the underside.

Viewed from the top, you have a similar problem with the sides of the stem. Instead of following the lines of the shank, the stem bulges outward, most prominently at the horn insert, instead of following the line of the shank toward the button.

Again, my personal preference, viewed from the top, the sides of the button should be flush with the stem, with a slight inward taper to the tip.

Other than that, it looks good to me.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

I agree with Frank, the stem would look nice if it were turned 180. I also
think the button looks a bit squarish and chunky. The finish is very nice.
I'm just an amatuer, so my criticism dosen't carry alot weight. Overall,
nicely done. Scot
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

Frank wrote:The horn or oliphant is one of the shapes I really like.

My personal view is that the underside of the stem should continue the line of the bowl/shank curve. If you remove the half saddle you should be able to achieve this. My personal taste, I would have put the half saddle on the top of the stem, not the underside.

Viewed from the top, you have a similar problem with the sides of the stem. Instead of following the lines of the shank, the stem bulges outward, most prominently at the horn insert, instead of following the line of the shank toward the button.

Again, my personal preference, viewed from the top, the sides of the button should be flush with the stem, with a slight inward taper to the tip.

Other than that, it looks good to me.
I reversed the stem and removed the bulges. I also filed down the sides of the button but not flush with the stem. Here are the updated pics