my first two pipes... brand new at this

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
clifton

my first two pipes... brand new at this

Post by clifton »

this is the first one I did... freehand out of plataeu, came predrilled as a kit and i filed the stem down to get the swirl look... keep in mind when i took these pictures i had already smoked this pipe several times before i took the pictures

this is my second pipe i made out of a piece of ebauchon, came as a kit... had some flaws in it and some small cracks you can probably see... so i slacked some on the sanding... really just wanted to experiment on doing some of the rustication look... but i was pleased on how it came out

Image[/img]

let me know what you think... i love pipe crafting... you can only learn by mistakes and hearing from experienced crafters
A piece of God's Workmanship,
Clifton Phelps
Charl

Post by Charl »

Welcome to Pipemaking! Its even more addictive than smoking.

Enjoy!
Frank

Post by Frank »

I'm partial to the "Danish Freehand" shape, so I really like the shape of the first pipe.

The fluting on the stem is a nice idea, but it needs a bit of cleanup. I found what works best for filing fluting are chain saw sharpening files. They come in a few different diameters and maintain a constant diameter the full length of the file, although a regular round needle file will also suffice.

Start off with a triangular file to mark your lines, it's less likely to skid around off your line than a round file. After you have filed the fluting to your liking, wrap decreasing grits of sandpaper around the file to get a smooth finish ready for buffing.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
clifton

Post by clifton »

thanks for the file tip... i had a time trying to file with just a regular file... i will definately be getting some chainsaw files... and wrapping it in sand paper, never thought of that... look forward to cleaning up the stem... thanks for the tips
A piece of God's Workmanship,
Clifton Phelps
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Very nice first pipes. I really like the second one. One thing I noticed on the close up is that there are some sanding scratch marks that you didn't get out. If you don't get the previous grit scratches out before moving to the finer grits they will stand out after staining. Take your time with each grit before moving to the next. Also, the top curve where the shank meets the bowl could be a bit cleaner. The chain saw files that Frank mentioned work well for this. Very nice work.
nepenthes

Post by nepenthes »

I love the second pipe, reminds me of the Hill on Nightmare Before Christmas