Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Charl

Post by Charl »

At last one without any huge cracks! :)
When I finished this pipe, I was quite happy with it. The internal stuff is all pretty good (just the airhole is a little bit to the left) and the shape I thought was also not too bad. Now that I look at the photos, I'm not not so sure any more....
What do you think?
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

I was wondering how these olive wood pipes smoke. I seen olivewood at the lumberyard and it seems very hard and dense. Is it an absorbant wood like briar? How does it compare in weight?
It's an attractive pipe despite the crack. I think it would look better if there were a sharper transition between bowl and shank. I think the stem could be improved if it had a constant straight taper. The light color fill material brings attention to the crack. Nice job, considering the difficult material you're working with.
Källman

Post by Källman »

I really like how that grain works its way to the stem and i think it has a cool organic shape to it. Some stain experimenting is needed here tho. Something that brings out those grain but keeps the white in the wood. Bright colors makes is look bigger, and i think this shape would benefit from that.

The more i look at it the more i like its shape. How does it smoke? And the cracks, are they deep?
Charl

Post by Charl »

Don't know if there is much difference between olive and our native wild olive, but this wild olive I use is very hard and very dense and very heavy. The shine you get is incredible and my quality of photography really doesn't do it justice. Tell you one thing, briar is much easier to work with!
The cracks are only hairline cracks (luckily!). And I haven't used any fill material.
I have been looking at the area where the shank and bowl meet myself. Something doesn't look right there. I thought it might have something to do with not following the same curve as the foot of the stummel.
I agree with pennsyscot on the stem as well. A constant taper would be better.
I have been thinking of trying stain on the next one, but don't really know what colour yet. Will try out on a couple of offcut pieces first and see how that goes.
Gave the pipe to my uncle on Saturday to try out, will let you know what he thinks. I also started smoking another wild olive (reject) pipe yesterday. Will keep you updated on that.
Källman

Post by Källman »

Great! Looking forward to all of it. What shape where you going for here? Is the chubby look intended?